Pro-2018 zombie volume, can't adjust it, always max..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojobreakfast

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
40
I was at my local thrift store today and came across a like-new Pro-2018. For $20 it was mine.

Upon plugging it in, I discovered that the volume control does not appear to really work. It is though the volume is at about 90% of maximum at all times, even when the knob is turned down. If I crank the volume "up" it will go the remainder of the 10% to maximum.

This is regardless if I use speakers or headphones and is obviously a quite annoying failure or defect.

I popped the volume control circuit board out, inspected it for bad solder joints, sprayed some air on it to remove any dust/particles, but no dice.

All other functions of the scanner work fine. Anyone have any ideas?
 

n2mdk

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Messages
2,441
Location
Ames, IA
Sounds like the actual pot. is gone, you could try something like tuner cleaner in it. Other than that it needs to be replaced.
 

mojobreakfast

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
40
Yup! I think you're right. I disassembled the volume control again, and resoldered the connections to the volume pot. In doing it I also gave it a good jiggle. After reassembling it, it worked fine! A little crunchy if I put pressure on the knob. So the pot is definitely flakey. I will try to find a replacement part from Mouser.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top