PRO 2022: Backlight Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I have an old PRO 2022. The backlight no longer lights up. Is there an easy fix, or do I have to replace the whole light like others did with 2004, 2005, & 2006's?

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Also... how hard is it to replace the backlight? I see that guy on E Bay selling replacements. I have done discriminator taps & speed/cell mods many times, can someone compare the level of difficulty.

wmbio

The replacement of the backlight requires a complete dissassembly of the front panel display, and what is being sold on e-bay may be used displays removed from dead recievers. The original backlight made by GRE would never last very long.
It is an 8 of 10 difficulty level to replace yourself. There are sites available to you who will do the repair, if you google "Pro-2006 backlight" look for the scanner geeks site.

enjoy

Last edited:

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
OR for the price you'd pay for the backlight and installation you can get a cheap small desklamp or book reading clip-on light. That's what I did....clips in a shelf just above the scanner and when I need it I just flip the light on. I also decided to move mine to work where it is always light so no backlight or desklamp is needed.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. But, if it is easy to replace, I will just do it. That way, I can sell it later for a average price. Not sure of too many people who would want to pay for a non-lit scanner.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I asked one of the backlight sellers on eBay for the installation instructions. I'm reasonably talented with a soldering iron and after reading the instructions I didn't want to risk it or pay someone else. There was quite a bit of disassembly, wire cutting and wire resoldering. I'm sure there is a market for that scanner on eBay backlight or no backlight.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
All the sudden I'm feeling better,
When I (and apparently others as I found out later) got the new electrostatic panel to relight my 2006 I received no instructions, I kept hearing the it wasn't a hard fix. Although I painstakingly pulled apart the front panel and all of the wiring, I missed the Sound Squelch and Dimmer buttons, wound up messing them up big time.
Anyway, the buttons would not go back or realign. I wound up soldering the innards of one or both to get the radio to work. I never really used either button anyway. Seems fine except that the panel is always full bright and there are 2 little, rectangular holes.

Really seems like there should be a way to drop a micro bulb or two into that part of the panel and wire to a low voltage source somewhere in the unit. This would eliminate the need to pull everything apart. Yeah, I realize the lighting may not be as even and balanced, but, if it is quick & easy and doesn't risk turning the scanner into a doorstop like mine almost was, bravo.

Last edited:

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Backlight Replaced

This was an easy job, for me at least. I think I have done some harder cell mods in my day. I got a EL display from RSATech on E Bay, and it fit perfect. I took pics of the new display if anyone wants to see how bright it is. I am putting the scanner on E Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.