Pro-2026 Fan Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting electrical interference from the heater fan in my 2006 Honda CRV. When the fan control is turned up, I get a very loud whine on the VHF frequencies. The radio is hooked up to the fuse box, and I've tried different fuse locations and I put a filter in the line. How can I eliminate this noise?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Not using a powered speaker - just the regular RS external one. The filter I'm using is the old RS one that looks like a small transformer - always worked well before in other situations.

Bucko

Did you verify that is coming through the power feed vs the antenna? The antenna maybe picking up this noise instead of the power feed.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I tried 2 different antennas - not sure how to verify if it's coming thru them or the electrical wire? If I remove vthe antenna, I have no signal to compare the noise to.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
You say you've tried different fuse locations, have you tried different grounds?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't. I will see if I can find another screw for the ground wire.

DELCOLHFC

Different CRV, different issue......

I have an 04 CRV with a 2067 mounted fed via cig plug with a mag mount RS multiband ant, no problems with this setup, I get about as good of reception as I could hope for from the less than perfect antenna. I will sometimes run with my 96 and/or 97 standing in the "console" cup holders and equipted with either stock duckies or the RS 800 ant reception is acceptable. The problem comes when I put a Diamond RH77CA on the 97 (never tried it on the 96) the scanner will lock up in static on EVERY vhf frequency in the radio no matter what the squelch is set to. The problems will completely disappear if I lift the 97 up so the RH77 can "see" over the top of the dash.

52to12

Had a similar problem last year with both my scanner (also a pro-2026) and my CB. Problem turned out to be an alternator on my truck that was starting to go bad. Service dept. replaced the alternator, problem disappeard. Just a suggestion if all other suggestions fail. Good luck!

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I've determined that the whine from the heater fan is entering thru the antenna, not the electrical wire. Any ideas how to filter it out from coming in via the antenna?

SLWilson

Check Grounds

scnrfrq said:
I'm getting electrical interference from the heater fan in my 2006 Honda CRV. When the fan control is turned up, I get a very loud whine on the VHF frequencies. The radio is hooked up to the fuse box, and I've tried different fuse locations and I put a filter in the line. How can I eliminate this noise?

Had a similar problem with my "Two-way" VHF in a Dodge Durango. Tried SEVERAL things. Last thing we did was run a ground from the outside of the antenna connector right at the back of the radio to the closest ground. Took out ALL of the noise/whine....Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify then - you soldered a ground wire onto the antenna connector on the back and ran the wire to the nearest ground? I'll give that a try...

Thanks.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately attaching the wire to the antenna connector didn't fix the problem. Anyone else have any ideas?

Bucko

I am guessing you are using a mag mount? Have you tried locating the antenna toward the rear of the vehicle?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I am using both a mag mount and I also have a splitter for the car radio antenna. The whine is the same on both when the fan is turned up past halfway. The mag mount has the very thin cable, so I know that's not good for keeping out interference. I tried moving it to the back and extended the cable with RG-59, but the whine remains. I may have to try an antenna with regular cable on it and put it on the back of the roof. Since the CRV is pretty tall, I'm limited by the height of my garage as far as what kind of antenna I can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.