PRO-2026 Lost Preset Frequencies While in Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenkeeper

Finally got power, antenna, and external speaker connected, tried to scan the presets in Police/Fire/Ambulance, and all the frequencies were "000.0000". WTH?!!!

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the preset frequencies, the PRO-2026 won't retain the channels you program with without power to scanner. If you remove the power it will need to be reprogrammed.

This scanner is very old in terms of the scanners and much has changed, since these were new.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
RS Pro2026

If it's anything like my old Pro 2036 was ... there's a 5 yr battery that acts to hold the memory inside the circuit board. Sadly, mine was SOLDERED on and not removable. It didn't matter as by the time it finally gave up and never held the memory after being unplugged, we had gone to Digital Trunking here locally and beyond. I got rid of it. Your battery is dead most likely and will not remember anything after being unplugged. It's an old old scanner

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravenkeeper

I don't know about the preset frequencies, the PRO-2026 won't retain the channels you program with without power to scanner. If you remove the power it will need to be reprogrammed.

This scanner is very old in terms of the scanners and much has changed, since these were new.

When I got it, 1993(?), it had a lot of frequencies already programmed, and I could press the "POLICE" button to scan through several preprogrammed frequencies.

If it's anything like my old Pro 2036 was ... there's a 5 yr battery that acts to hold the memory inside the circuit board. Sadly, mine was SOLDERED on and not removable. It didn't matter as by the time it finally gave up and never held the memory after being unplugged, we had gone to Digital Trunking here locally and beyond. I got rid of it. Your battery is dead most likely and will not remember anything after being unplugged. It's an old old scanner

I was leaning toward a button battery inside, that has died. But I can't find my manual, nor the one that I was able to download, to confirm. My wife, when I planning out where/how I was going to install it, was saying that I could just buy a new one. Now, maybe I have an even better reason, other than the wife said I could. Maybe, I'll take it out of my truck and tear into it, to possibly change the battery.

NOW, this raises a whole new question, WHERE CAN I GET ONE AND INSTALL IT WITHIN A FEW DAYS OF GETTING IT?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro2026

They certainly don't make them like that anymore. I'd be interested IF you do inspect the inside ... if the battery is soldered onto a metal POST about 3 inches high. It was the only thing that resembled a round battery with a rubber surround on it. I wasn't about to waste my time trying to heat something up to see if it comes off or not, looked like it was fixed on there for good and not interchangeable. Didn't matter anymore. I've had 3 new scanners since to adjust with the times/systems. The easy answer to your question is the Batteries and Bulbs* stores you see in strip malls.
They have every battery you can think of and more. It's where I got my PowerEX for Whistler scanners

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The www.mods.dk site has both the service manual and an addendum.

I'm not familiar with the model, but it appears to use a super-capacitor for memory backup which is said to last 14 days or so, and the addendum covers increasing it's value.

Try leaving the unit on H24 for a few days to see if the super-capacitor holds a charge and able to store memories.

There is also more info re the memory retention problem here:

Pro-2026 Looses Memory

And at the mods.dk site:

Modification > Radio Shack > Radio Shack Menu (on the right hand side) > PRO-2026

Ravenkeeper

Are you ready for a wild/crazy update to this one?

I went out to program a bunch of local frequencies into my scanner, to listen to while I find a new scanner. Had a wild hair up my butt to press the "POLICE" button, and there were frequencies tumbling/scanning. WTH?!!!

hill

Premium Subscriber
Had two different versions of the PRO-2026 the first one lacked any memory backup and that's the one I once had. The updated PRO-2026 did have a limited memory backup. Most Radio Shacks models that were update had their model numbers also updated with the addition of letter at the end like an A.

Status
Not open for further replies.