Pro-2036 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Just bought a Pro-2036 and couldn't find much of anything in the Wiki and searching doesn't reveal much relevant. This RS model was Uniden made, and comparable to their BC890XLT.

The scanner is not going to come with an antenna so I'm open to hearing what anyone has to say about their antenna setup. I plan on using this for specifically the VHF law enforcement band (137-174MHz) and AM freqs from 225 to 400 MHz. I know that's kind of a wide range for custom antennae.

Also, can someone explain this CTCSS board? It seems that is reduces interference in freqs that might be close (in the spectrum) or if two agencies are operating on the same freq?

Thanks in advance for the help. Also, since there is no antenna coming with it- can someone verify it's a BNC connector? Is the jack performing a 90degree angle to support a vertical antenna or will I need to get an adaptor for my antenna?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
texas, that kind of frequency coverage can easily be accomodated by a ScanTenna or a good quality discone like the Diamond D130 series. Feed that with good coax (no I didn't say the 58/u junk RS sells) and put it up nice and high (if you can) and you should be good to go.

How and why CTCSS (otherwise known as PL or Private Line) is used is explained in our wiki (anything in blue or underlined is a link)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/PL

Note that the 890 was famous for having real issues with overloading and images. If the 2036 follows suit, this may cause you some problems. Sometimes issues with these can be addressed with the application of filters bought from folks like PAR Electronics. Expensive, but excellent service and reputation, and they work good too.

73 Mike

Last edited:

SAR923

Tex, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. If you only need local communications using a back of the set antenna, it's fine. If you are going to connect it to something like a Scantenna, the intermod will be unbelievable. This is one scanner that no set of filters ever helped. There was a CTCSS board available as an aftermarket option that helped reduce the efffects of intermod by only allowing the channel to open if it received the correct tone. Even that wasn't much help since many agencies either don't use CTCSS or use DCS, which this board won't do. Even with the CTCSS board, the signal would still get swamped by intermod when the right tone opened the channel. It was truly one of the worst scanners I ever owned.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Nope, I didn't pay too much for it and don't expect it to handle too much of a load. I was aware it had some intermod problems but don't believe it will cause me too much headache. I figured a great antenna might cause some problems trying to pick up a weak signal the unit wouldn't do well with. I mainly need it to cover the long list of conventional channels that never get too much activity (but here in the Hill Country some pretty good stuff goes on out in the woods on those channels). I'll leave the local trunked systems for my other scanner- I usually only monitor one at a time anyway.

scanner92us

You won't like it for mil-air. I have one of these and 225-400 is full of birdies. I'm glad there isn't much mil-air activity here because it would be useless. The sensitivity is good but it's prone to almost all kinds of interference. I still have the owners manuel and you can have it if you want, just pm me if you do.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah don't catch too much mil-air around here. Randolph AFB is active but I don't go too near it too often (training base anyway).

kb5urq

Schematic for PRO-2036

I have an old Pro-2036 (date code 4A4). When I turn it on the display shows a bunch of garbled characters. Does anyone know if a schematc exists on the web? I looked pretty hard but couldn't find anything. I'd just like to fix it and get it working again.

Thanks,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.