pro 2050, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcb

picked one up this morning at a yard sale for three bucks!, yes it works, only thing wrong was a broken indoor/built in antenna, i hooked it up to my outdoor scanner antenna, i haven't programed it yet, but i'm picking up aircraft talk on the first bank, going to have to play with some more, was hoping it will pick up the county sheriff talk that i can't get anymore since they switched to a trunking system a coulple years ago, but i don't know yet what they're using, more searching to do, so are these a decent scanner?...............

Attachments

• RADIOSHACK-PRO-2050-300-CHANNEL-POLICE-FIRE-SCANNER-TRUNK-TRACKER-p64971.jpg
    RADIOSHACK-PRO-2050-300-CHANNEL-POLICE-FIRE-SCANNER-TRUNK-TRACKER-p64971.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,155

wtp

looks like no

if i got it all right your county is in the 770 range and the radio will not receive them.
but it could be used for many other things.

joeuser

The Wretched
In my limited knowledge, yes. Decent. I wouldn't get one because it misses the whole 200-400 area which I'm getting back into from various dealings around here. That's just me though. For three bucks, its fantastic. Lots of listening there. Check the FCc filings for your area & get some of those conventional freqs going on. I listen to farmers yacking all the time. You can put the HAMs in there - suggest you puttem on the last bank by themselves though - they can get long winded. FRS/GMRS, mutual aid, fed freqs - just bcuz it don't do TRS doesn't mean its worthless! Esp! @ 3$!

oldcb

if i got it all right your county is in the 770 range and the radio will not receive them.
but it could be used for many other things.

yeah, i sorta figured it wouldn't after seeing how old it actually is, oh well, it will cover the ten meter band so i will at use it for that...............

bkantor

A working scanner for less than the price of a fancy drink at Starbucks??...Home run! Enjoy, there is still plenty of conventional traffic to keep the 2050 busy.

kny2xb

I have had mine for over 10 years and use it everyday

I bought it used at a pawn shop for $59 bucks with no antenna, just the power supply

I'm using it inside my mobile home with a Ritron dual-band VHF-UHF back-of-set antenna

I monitor my local county 800 MHz trunked, civil air and marine

Since I have the space, I'm going to add all the railroad freqs

I'm also going to put up a home-made ground plane outside

You got a great deal!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Put a discriminator tap in there, you'll open up all sorts of possibilites - UniTrunker, DSD, etc.

For that money you got a deal...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.