• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

PRO-2050 in Colorado Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdcolorado

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2006
Messages
1
My father died recently and left me his radio shack PRO-2050. Is this still usable in El Paso County? Or is it to outdated? If it is outdated and can't be used, what would be a good entry level scanner that would work in El Paso County?

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian
 

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
3,827
Location
RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV
Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
7,736
Location
Eclipse, Virginia
Brian,

Your scanner can scan the Green conventional freqs on the page provided by poltergeisty in the here link. Also on that page, you can click on the city/county public safety link. The smartzone can be monitored, but each site must be programmed in separate banks. However, you may only need to program a site near the location of your scanner. The Red freqs are Control Channels (CC). If when programmed into the scanner, you should hear a weird noise. If no noise is present when you inter that Red freq, its likely you are not close enough to the tower to pick it up, so don't program those freqs for that site. None of the military or federal sites can be trunk tracked by this scanner.

You can not program the Green conventional freqs in the same bank as the trunked SmartZone system discussed in the previous paragraph. But they can only be programmed (up to 50 freqs) in a bank not programmed as trunked.
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,334
Location
Colorado
Some really inaccurate information being given here. This is what you need to know:

Don't waste your time with any of the "green" frequncies listed on that page.
El Paso County (including Colorado Springs) is entirely digital. Although the licenses for the conventional frequencies are still in effect, those frequences (except maybe Flight for Life, and the Pikes Peak Cog Railway) are no longer in use. That includes the "tactical" freqs listed for the fire departments, etc. Ther is no "wealth" of transmissions to hear if you don't have a digital scanner.

To be specific: All of the "green" County fire frequencies, with the exception of the UHF frequency listed for the Ellicott Fire Department are gone.
The VHF freqs listed for the EPSO (Dispatch and "backup") haven't been used in years, and those freqs have been removed from the dispatch center and all field units.
Fountain PD is no longer on the UHF freq listed.
Ft. Carson, Peterson AFB and the Air Force Academy are on 400mhz trunked systems, so the freqs listed for them are useless.
Manitou Springs is no longer using the freqs listed.

If you don't have a DIGITAL trunking scanner, you're out of luck. You'll also need a digital scanner to listen to any state agencies. For the time being, you can use your non-digital scanner to monitor Pueblo City and County, and some of Teller County, but expect all of them to digital pretty soon.
 

jimmnn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
14,327
Location
Colorado
fmon said:
Brian,

Your scanner can scan the Green conventional freqs on the page provided by poltergeisty in the here link. Also on that page, you can click on the city/county public safety link. The smartzone can be monitored, but each site must be programmed in separate banks. However, you may only need to program a site near the location of your scanner. The Red freqs are Control Channels (CC). If when programmed into the scanner, you should hear a weird noise. If no noise is present when you inter that Red freq, its likely you are not close enough to the tower to pick it up, so don't program those freqs for that site. None of the military or federal sites can be trunk tracked by this scanner.
\
But the problem is the green freqs are no longer in use, El Paso County and Colorado Springs is digital and has been not conventional would suggest you focus on in-state responses at least and not others.

Jim<
 

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
7,736
Location
Eclipse, Virginia
Gee Bob and Jim, you both stepped on it. With your local knowledge of El Paso Coounty, why don't you get your area up to date on the Database page rather then criticize people attempting to help? And if you have no interest in helping in that effort, why do you even participate?

Also, what if someone used Web Import (many do) and travels through your area with that worthless data? My area is up to date gents...obviously, yours isn't.
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,334
Location
Colorado
fmon said:
Gee Bob and Jim, you both stepped on it. With your local knowledge of El Paso Coounty, why don't you get your area up to date on the Database page rather then criticize people attempting to help? And if you have no interest in helping in that effort, why do you even participate?

Also, what if someone used Web Import (many do) and travels through your area with that worthless data? My area is up to date gents...obviously, yours isn't.
Hey, Frank....

The Virginia forum is a bit down the page. You're obviously lost.

Now, for the rest of your response...
I HAVE made several contributions to the data base, BUT, thats not going to stop someone else from putting up old, inaccurate data. I've got other tihings to do to check on what some other bonehead is putting in there.
 

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
2,620
Location
AOA
All I gotta say is Rule #2 speaks for itself!

2. Resist the urge to post to every single thread in every single forum. You might know everything there is to know about radios, however not everyone wants to "hear that you know." If you see a question posted about a system in Kansas, and you live in Louisiana, give the Kansas folks a chance to answer the question.
 

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
7,736
Location
Eclipse, Virginia
firescannerbob said:
Hey, Frank....
Now, for the rest of your response...
I HAVE made several contributions to the data base, BUT, thats not going to stop someone else from putting up old, inaccurate data. I've got other tihings to do to check on what some other bonehead is putting in there.
Well Bob, maybe you should have stated this in a less rude manner "Some really inaccurate information being given here." I was only trying to help.

Admin for Colorado, apparently it takes some contribution from Virginia to get database corrected in your state. I note you made 5 changes this evening to the page in question.
 

Thayne

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
2,129
Come on boys, no fighting--lets go to Subway and get some lemonade:)
 

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
2,620
Location
AOA
fmon said:
Admin for Colorado, apparently it takes some contribution from Virginia to get database corrected in your state. I note you made 5 changes this evening to the page in question.
Frank, thank you for your assistance here in Colorado. The database is a "Team" effort. Changes were made to the DB once they were brought to my attention.
 

papaelk

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2006
Messages
276
Location
Westminster, Co
fmon said:
Gee Bob and Jim, you both stepped on it. With your local knowledge of El Paso Coounty, why don't you get your area up to date on the Database page rather then criticize people attempting to help? And if you have no interest in helping in that effort, why do you even participate?

Also, what if someone used Web Import (many do) and travels through your area with that worthless data? My area is up to date gents...obviously, yours isn't.


Gee Frank you must be really board to be stinking you nose in Colorados Radio Forum That you have no (0) knowledge of. Jim and Bob are very knowledgeable of the State DTRS. (Thanks Guys)

abqscan Does a wonderfull job with the database here he can only CHANGE what is given to him ! and then Confirmed by people who are known and trusted.
 
Last edited:

jimmnn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
14,327
Location
Colorado
Hold the lettuce on my foot long tonight, I'm not really in the mood.

50+ counties is a lot to maintain but it is the wild wild west afterall and we're truly sorry that's it's not up to your expectations Frank.

Shoot I think we have a single county that's larger than the entire state of Delaware.

Jim<
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
1,334
Location
Colorado
It's fixed, for crying out loud!

jimmnn said:
Hold the lettuce on my foot long tonight, I'm not really in the mood.

50+ counties is a lot to maintain but it is the wild wild west afterall and we're truly sorry that's it's not up to your expectations Frank.

Shoot I think we have a single county that's larger than the entire state of Delaware.

Jim<
Yeah, we do, and it's the one he was trying to profess so much knowledge about!

In any case, with Erik's great assistance, the offended database has been cleaned up. Geez, hope everyone is happy now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top