• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

pro 2051 and a pro 2055 on one antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all i see a post for one scanner two antennas but what if you would like to put two scanners on one antenna
i have a pro 2051 and a pro 2055 with a discone antenna can i hook up both scanners to one antenna and if so what do i need to do this? thanks all

Last edited:

LarrySC

Use a TV/VCR type splitter. Convert scanners to "F" connectors using adp's. You could also install an AB switch. Both would work better with a Tri-Band antenna cut for VHF/UHF/800 rather than a discone. Good Luck

usnasa

but i want to be able to use both at the same time can you tell me what to buy do they have them in radio shack i have a bnc connector ? how would i connect that

KE7TJK

usnasa said:
but i want to be able to use both at the same time can you tell me what to buy do they have them in radio shack i have a bnc connector ? how would i connect that
I run three scanners on one antenna. Here is how I did it. (I'll list what YOU need to accomplish the same thing)

Go to RS. Buy a CATV two way splitter, a handful of F connectors, two solderless BNC connectors, and a length of RG-58 or 59 cable. Oh, and a F connector crimper. (Pliers work, but not as well)

Go home, and cut the BNC connector off of your antenna lead in. If possible, cut it off so you have a foot or so of cable left with the BNC connector still attached. Strip the insulation off of both the BNC cable piece, and the antenna lead in. Attatch an F connector to BOTH the lead in, and the BNC piece.

Next, take the length of cable you bought, cut off about 2 feet, and strip both ends. Attatch an F connector to one end, and a solderless BNC connector to the other end.

next, screw the F connector from the antenna lead in into the input of the CATV splitter. Then, attatch each of the othe pigtails you made to the CATV splitter output via the F connectors, then connect the BNC's to your scanners.

That is it!

I use exactly this set up, only I use a three way CATV splitter. Works perfectly.

usnasa

really and you have no signal loss on any of the radios i have the discone antenna ?is there an easier way i really dont want to cut my bnc connector off my antenna wire coming in can i buy an adapter or something i dont have much cable to play with behind the scanner ? and thanks can i use this rather then cut my bnc off my antenna ? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104083&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy/RSK/2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=bnc+connectors&parentPage=search

also does it matter the catv splitter is 75 ohms i think my cable is 50 ohms does that matter ? which splitter to get i am using rg 6 cable

Last edited:

gcgrotz

You will have some losses but they generally don't matter unless you are regularly listening to a very weak signal, like barely breaking squelch. If that's the case you may need an expensive amplified splitter designed for 50 ohm systems or a mast mount preamp. If the discone is working for you then don't change it just because you want to use a splitter.

They make adaptors for BNC to F type, don't know if 'Shack has them. Try Universal Radio, they also have lots of splitters and stuff. email them for a catalog.

I know people will disagree and I'll probably get flamed but if you're monitoring strong local stuff (not weak military air for instance) you could probably get away with a T adapter. Try it and see, if it doesn't work you haven't wasted much money.

Last edited:

usnasa

i understand that i was asking radio shack has catv splitters but say 75 oms output can i use that splitter for my cable which i think is 50 oms thanks

KE7TJK

I originally used a T adaptor, and it didn't work.

I had massive front end overload and bleedover on my 2051 (no longer own it), and the Regency was as deaf as a little back of set telescoping whip.

usnasa I replied to your PM. If I can help further, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.