pro 2051 and a pro 2055 on one antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all i see a post for one scanner two antennas but what if you would like to put two scanners on one antenna
i have a pro 2051 and a pro 2055 with a discone antenna can i hook up both scanners to one antenna and if so what do i need to do this? thanks all

Last edited:

LarrySC

Use a TV/VCR type splitter. Convert scanners to "F" connectors using adp's. You could also install an AB switch. Both would work better with a Tri-Band antenna cut for VHF/UHF/800 rather than a discone. Good Luck

usnasa

but i want to be able to use both at the same time can you tell me what to buy do they have them in radio shack i have a bnc connector ? how would i connect that

KE7TJK

usnasa said:
but i want to be able to use both at the same time can you tell me what to buy do they have them in radio shack i have a bnc connector ? how would i connect that

I run three scanners on one antenna. Here is how I did it. (I'll list what YOU need to accomplish the same thing)

Go to RS. Buy a CATV two way splitter, a handful of F connectors, two solderless BNC connectors, and a length of RG-58 or 59 cable. Oh, and a F connector crimper. (Pliers work, but not as well)

Go home, and cut the BNC connector off of your antenna lead in. If possible, cut it off so you have a foot or so of cable left with the BNC connector still attached. Strip the insulation off of both the BNC cable piece, and the antenna lead in. Attatch an F connector to BOTH the lead in, and the BNC piece.

Next, take the length of cable you bought, cut off about 2 feet, and strip both ends. Attatch an F connector to one end, and a solderless BNC connector to the other end.

next, screw the F connector from the antenna lead in into the input of the CATV splitter. Then, attatch each of the othe pigtails you made to the CATV splitter output via the F connectors, then connect the BNC's to your scanners.

That is it!

I use exactly this set up, only I use a three way CATV splitter. Works perfectly.

usnasa

really and you have no signal loss on any of the radios i have the discone antenna ?is there an easier way i really dont want to cut my bnc connector off my antenna wire coming in can i buy an adapter or something i dont have much cable to play with behind the scanner ? and thanks can i use this rather then cut my bnc off my antenna ? http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...d=2032058&kw=bnc+connectors&parentPage=search

also does it matter the catv splitter is 75 ohms i think my cable is 50 ohms does that matter ? which splitter to get i am using rg 6 cable

Last edited:

gcgrotz

You will have some losses but they generally don't matter unless you are regularly listening to a very weak signal, like barely breaking squelch. If that's the case you may need an expensive amplified splitter designed for 50 ohm systems or a mast mount preamp. If the discone is working for you then don't change it just because you want to use a splitter.

They make adaptors for BNC to F type, don't know if 'Shack has them. Try Universal Radio, they also have lots of splitters and stuff. email them for a catalog.

I know people will disagree and I'll probably get flamed but if you're monitoring strong local stuff (not weak military air for instance) you could probably get away with a T adapter. Try it and see, if it doesn't work you haven't wasted much money.

Last edited:

usnasa

i understand that i was asking radio shack has catv splitters but say 75 oms output can i use that splitter for my cable which i think is 50 oms thanks

KE7TJK

I originally used a T adaptor, and it didn't work.

I had massive front end overload and bleedover on my 2051 (no longer own it), and the Regency was as deaf as a little back of set telescoping whip.

usnasa I replied to your PM. If I can help further, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.