• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Pro 2051 Trunking Help .. very frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Policewannabe

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I am so frustrated I decided to sign up and request help. I recently bought a Radio Shack Pro-2051 Triple Trunking scanner and have been trying to get the hang of it. I've learned the general terms associated with scanning and I've learned to program channels, but am still green to the whole thing.

Now to the advanced stuff; Trunking. Can ya'll please be patient and help me figure out how to program my scanner?
I've ordered a data cable and scancat lite plus, but I want to be able to program it manually.

I've read the manual several times over but it the information is not concise for a beginner like me. After about 6 hours of trying to get a trunked channel to work properly I am quite puzzled on how to do it. :confused:

So with that, I hope somebody would be willing to help me step by step on how to program the 2051. Preferably someone who has a 2051 and can provide step by step instructions?

I'm located in Corpus Christi, Texas and some of the best information I could find on local frequencies came from this very site. GREAT JOB on the site, it's been most helpful but I still need some 1 on 1 help. I have an interest in police work and can't get enough of it, and being able to listen in is very entertaining.

http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=17
More info here: http://www.scanningusa.com/trunked_info/texas.html

One of the main 'control channels' 866.0875 comes in clear with trunking off...
856.4375 sounds like a gasoline generator running, so I assume that is a trunked channel (lol). I did try to set up trunking and set trunk mode to ED and entered a bunch of AFS #'s but it still sounded scrambled. How do I determine what system they use and how to set it all up?

Thanks

Code:
[B][U]City of Corpus Christi (Ericsson/GE EDACS)[/U][/B]
[B]System Frequencies:[/B]
Robstown Site:
LCN 1-856.4375 
LCN 2-856.9375
LCN 3-857.4375
LCN 4-857.9375 
LCN 5-858.4375
LCN 6-858.9375 
LCN 7-859.4375 
LCN 8-859.9375 
LCN 9-860.4375 
LCN10-860.9375
LCN11-854.9625 
LCN12-855.2125 
LCN13-855.4625 

Shoreline Dr Site 
LCN 1-856.2375 
LCN 2-856.7125 
LCN 3-857.2375 
LCN 4-857.7125 
LCN 5-858.2375
LCN 6-858.7125 
LCN 7-859.2375 
LCN 8-859.7125 
LCN 9-860.2375
LCN10-860.7125
LCN11-854.9875 
LCN12-855.4875 
LCN13-855.9875 
County Jail Site
LCN 1-856.4875
LCN 2-857.4875 
LCN 3-858.4875

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The system you show is EDACS. The frequencies must be entered in the exact order shown in the list. The trunk system type must be set to EDACS (but NOT EDACS SCAT!) The talkgroup ID's are entered into the green column labeled "Group ID's". Under "Group Description, you would enter a brief description of the talkgroup (example: police, fire, rescue, police tac, etc.)

I am not familiar with the software you have, and I don't have a PRO-2051 scanner, so I can't help out much more than I have. The most important thing is to enter the frequencies in the order shown, and set the system type as "EDACS".

Policewannabe

Ok, I kind of understand what you're saying. But do I need to program the channels I don't want to listen to?
Or do I enter all of them in order and just lock out the undesired ones?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Policewannabe said:
Ok, I kind of understand what you're saying. But do I need to program the channels I don't want to listen to?
Or do I enter all of them in order and just lock out the undesired ones?

You must enter all the frequencies, in the exact order listed. LCN 1 must go into channel xx1, LCN 2 must go into channel xx2, etc. All the frequencies are used in a trunked system, there really aren't any "unused" ones. The conversations will move around from frequency to frequency in a trunked system. It's the talkgroups that determine what service or agency you will be monitoring. In a trunked system, a talkgroup isn't associated with any one frequency, it will move around to a different frequency with each press of the microphone key. Thus the need for a trunk tracking scanner.

BTW, in the example you showed, it appears to be two systems, and each system must go into its own bank in the radio, you cannot put both systems into one bank.

If you go elsewhere on this website to the Texas forum, there are probably people there that can answer specific questions about the Corpis Cristi system, I am in Florida and cannot help out with any system out of my area. Good luck!

Policewannabe

Ok, what I dont understand now is do I use the AFS or the DECIMAL number?
Do I enter the AFS number under "GROUP IDS"?

*edit*
I guess the DEC is the group id in decimal format?

I'm completely new to this, so I have yet to learn what everything is.

Last edited:

Policewannabe

Ok, here's what I've got!
All 10 frequencies entered, and talk id's I want to hear are entered. Going to load it and give it a try.

Attachments

• program2.jpg
    program2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 568

Policewannabe

I've got another question however. :lol:
Whenever I switch the scanner to highway mode I always get an audible alert and the alert light flashes and it takes me to a specific frequency, however it is trunked. If I cannot find the talk groups or other frequencies, how can I listen?
It alerts me every single time, but I have no talk groups to use.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the "DEC" (Decimal) numbers are the talkgroup ID's.

I am not familiar with the software you have, but you may have to set the mode to EDACS in order for it to track properly.

I notice that the frequencies that you have entered into the software screenshot don't match the list in the first part of your post, and I'm not in Texas, so I can't help you with what's correct for your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.