Pro-2052 won't reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-2052 I got from an estate sale, and when I try to do the software reset in the manual (2 and 9 while turning on) it says clear and appears to complete successfully, however the memory is never cleared and it appears stuck I the same configuration every time it gets turned on - same frequencies programmed, same banks scanning, and in the remote mode (sft flashing).

Regardless of what I try, even deleting each individual programmed channel and programming new ones, resetting the scanner, etc, it always ends up back at the same place.

Is there a memory battery hidden somewhere under the black goo on the circuit board that I'm missing? Is there a more comprehensive reset then the 2 & 9 reset? Is it just plain broke?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to get this scanner working to give away to a new ham-in-training 12 year old so he can listen in to the ham repeaters and stuff, but its pretty useless if I can't program it.

Regardless of what I try, even deleting each individual programmed channel and programming new ones, resetting the scanner, etc, it always ends up back at the same place.
I think you're doing it right, but here's what the manual says.

Scanner Reset
If the scanner's display locks up or stops operating properly, you might need to reset the scanner.
Note: This procedure clears all the information you have stored in the scanner. Before you reset the scanner, try turning it off and on to see if it begins working properly. Reset the scanner only when you are sure it is not working properly.
To reset the scanner, turn off the scanner. While holding down the 2 and 9 keys, turn on the scanner. CLEAR flashes for about 5 seconds as the scanner clears its memory.
Note: Do not turn off the scanner again until CLEAR stops flashing. Otherwise, the scanner might not clear its memory properly.

That's from the "Easier to Read" manual.

Easier to Read Pro 2052 Scanner Manual

Good luck!

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Yep. It appears to complete successfully, but when it stops flashing clear, it's back to where it was before... Nothing actually clears

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Also, absolutely nothing survives reboot. I.e. me stores channels, scanning different banks, deleted channels... Nothing. Reboot the radio and it's back to what it was doing.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Also, absolutely nothing survives reboot. I.e. me stores channels, scanning different banks, deleted channels... Nothing. Reboot the radio and it's back to what it was doing.

The manual lists an alternate method for clearing the memory on the PRO2052. It describes connecting your PC to the scanner and using a communications program (hyper terminal or the like). The clear scanner's memory command ( AC ) is on page 48.

Check pages 46, 47, and 48 at this link:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From Mark's Easier To Read Scanner Manual for the PRO-2052

Scanner Reset

To reset the scanner, turn off the scanner. While holding down the 2 and 9 keys, turn on the scanner. CLEAR flashes for about 5 seconds as the scanner clears its memory.

Note: Do not turn off the scanner again until CLEAR stops flashing. Otherwise, the scanner might not clear its memory properly.

Note from me:
Also if you have BIG HANDS like me, this is a little awkward to do. Make sure you're fully depressing the keys and keeping them fully depressed during the process.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
From Mark's Easier To Read Scanner Manual for the PRO-2052

Scanner Reset

Note from me:
Also if you have BIG HANDS like me, this is a little awkward to do. Make sure you're fully depressing the keys and keeping them fully depressed during the process.

Haha I've got fat fingers myself. It is saying "clear" but not actually doing it. It's almost as if the memory has gone "read only" nothing survives a reboot.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Haha I've got fat fingers myself. It is saying "clear" but not actually doing it. It's almost as if the memory has gone "read only" nothing survives a reboot.

If you really cannot write to the memory, the EEPROM may have failed. These chips have a limited number of write cycles over their lifetime and they can fail from too many cycles. You can get a new chip from https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/microchip-technology/24lc64t-i-sn?qs=MCSgdI%2bkPvVJiCPVyCtJXw==

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried using software to delete the programming or re-programming it?
I used the serial command "AC" and it does the same as the 2 and 9... Says "clear" but doesn't clear. If there was a Linux software to program, beyond sending serial commands, I'd give it a try...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe someone in your area(?) might be able to assist you with clearing/reprogramming it with software.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Maybe someone in your area(?) might be able to assist you with clearing/reprogramming it with software.
Oh I'm 1000% sure it's not user error. I've got multiple scanners. It's a hardware or software issue. I'm pretty sure it's the EEPROM chip the guy below you posted.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Oh I'm 1000% sure it's not user error. I've got multiple scanners. It's a hardware or software issue. I'm pretty sure it's the EEPROM chip the guy below you posted.

I didn't mean to imply it was a user error. I may of misunderstood thinking you do not have a Windows system to use Windows based software.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
I didn't mean to imply it was a user error. I may of misunderstood thinking you do not have a Windows system to use Windows based software.
Ah ok. Software is something I'm willing to try, but I'm pretty convinced it won't help. It's acting like it's stuck at some past memory save and unable to move past that.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Ah ok. Software is something I'm willing to try, but I'm pretty convinced it won't help. It's acting like it's stuck at some past memory save and unable to move past that.

OK, I wonder if someone tried to hack it to open the cellular band at one time and bricked it.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Great news! It was the EEPROM chip. After some fun time trying my first SMT desoldering and soldering, and a moment where I thought I lifted a trace, I've got it all out back together, and the led mod done to the backlight while I was in there.

The scanner now stores memories and clears like normal and has no issues I can see! Thanks for the help and the EEPROM suggestion, pro92b!

Status
Not open for further replies.