Pro-2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpslusser

Hey guys. Im selling both my Hanheld scanners, and possibly buying a Mobile and Hanheld. I need to get ones that support Alpha Tags for frequencies. I seen the radioshack by my house has a Pro 2052 for 70 bucks. Does anyone have this scanner that can elaborate?

Does the Pro 2052 have free programming software avaible? I notice in the instructions on Radioshack.com that it can be controled via PC interface through the computer.

mciupa

Database Admin
No alpha tags on this model , but 20 banks x 50 channels is a wonderful thing. :cool:

Seventy dollars is a bargain for a radio that sold for $499 in 1999. :)

Check out the YahooGroups Pro-2052 group for freeware.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
dps please see our wiki article on the 2052;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-2052

The 2052 does have some free software, but does NOT have alpha tags in its display.

Learning to use the database and wiki (both available at the top blue toolbar) will answer a great many of your questions. I don't know where you are, since your city/state isn't showing in your messages, but many areas are moving to digital trunking, which is considerably more expensive than analog (which is still used in many areas). You don't need to wander and buy aimlessly - do your research first.

73 Mike

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
$70 is a great buy on this scanner. It's one of the few out there than can do mil-air. I have one and it's a good little scanner. I've been contemplating setting it up at work so I can monitor the FD and the airport near my office.

The one drawback to it is the fact that you can either trunk scan or conventional scan but not at the same time. It also won't be rebanding friendly. And, as others mentioned, no alpha. But for $70 who cares? The mil-air and PC control/logging capability alone is worth $70.

-AZ

dpslusser

What is this PC control though? I didn't know such thing exsist. Im at my computer most of the time I would be listening to the scanner. When the scanner picks up a freq, and its connected to the computer, will it display the Alpha tag on the PC, instead of the computer, since it doesn't support Alpha.

Actually...I can get it for 50 bucks - tax.

How do I know if my area is going digital? Luzerne/Columbia County, Pennsylvania

What is trunking, and how do I know if it is in my area? Maybe I shouldn't get rid of my pro 94, since it is trunking.

(Yes, i don't know much about scanners, except how to punch in the freqs for my area and scan them.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
dpslusser said:
I dont understand...whats these YahooGroups I keep hearing about?

It's a group of mailing lists that are devoted to a particular topic. It's very useful, in that it discusses these topics in detail, much more so than you might get on a national (worldwide) forum like ours.

And to address another question, to understand trunking, our own UPMan put together a nice PDF file on the subject (which I will add to the Trunking wiki presently, and something else that you should read - stick to the Basics first...)

http://www.uniden.com/products/ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf

As to how you would find out whether your area is going trunking or not, jump to the Pennsylvania forum and ask. There might even be a Yahoo group or other mailing list that includes Luzerne county in its discussions. Our wiki has a starter list of such mailing lists - not necessarily complete, but it's a real good start.

One hint- anything in blue - even if it comes out as a word - is a link

73 Mike

[edit] The 2052 does not support digital trunking. We have another wiki article that lists all the applicable models.

captclint

Mentor
dpslusser said:
What is this PC control though? I didn't know such thing exist. Im at my computer most of the time I would be listening to the scanner. When the scanner picks up a freq, and its connected to the computer, will it display the Alpha tag on the PC, instead of the computer, since it doesn't support Alpha.
AFAIK, it will only allow you to control(with virtual keyboard) and download freq's to scanner...but no alpha tags' See the various software products here: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-2052#Supporting_Software
dpslusser said:
How do I know if my area is going digital? Luzerne/Columbia County, Pennsylvania
There are no plans for digital for this area, and no plans for public safety trunking either. However, there are a few business systems that are trunked. See: All Trunked Radio Systems in Luzerne County All Trunked Radio Systems in Columbia County Ignore Pennsylvania STARNet, as it can not be monitored by any scanner.
dpslusser said:
What is trunking, and how do I know if it is in my area? Maybe I shouldn't get rid of my pro 94, since it is trunking.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And here are a couple of places that say they cover Luzerne county, among others...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NE-PA-Scanners/

http://scannernut00.proboards41.com/index.cgi

http://scan-pa.com/forum/

Using a PC with a scanner will enable you to see alpha tags on the computer, but this is very dependent on whether the scanner's protocol allows for it. Most Radio Shack scanners (with the exception of the 2052) cannot do this, though many can upload and download frequencies to/from the computer. Both GRE and Uniden market scanners that have alpha tag capability in the scanner, and have the ability to up/download frequencies.
I can't stress this enough - learn to use the wiki when researching a scanner to buy and save yourself a lot of unnecessary grief.

73 Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Slightly OT

ka3jjz said:
And to address another question, to understand trunking, our own UPMan put together a nice PDF file on the subject (which I will add to the Trunking wiki presently, and something else that you should read - stick to the Basics first...)
Mike,

I linked that article sometime right after Paul put it out. I linked instead of copying for the simple reason he keeps tweaking it. See: Trunking-Overview

dpslusser

Thanks for the fast respones guys. So you guys think the 2052 for 50 bucks is a good buy? Maybe I should buy it just to have it. I could always sell it. Theirs a few on ebay.

I'll check the Yahoogroup and Radioreference wiki. Can't check it at work though.

(Yes I know BLUE words are usally links)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
dpslusser said:
Thanks for the fast respones guys. So you guys think the 2052 for 50 bucks is a good buy? Maybe I should buy it just to have it. I could always sell it. Theirs a few on ebay.

I'll check the Yahoogroup and Radioreference wiki. Can't check it at work though.

(Yes I know BLUE words are usally links)
IMHO a Pro-2052 is an excellent buy at $50. If for no other reason it will prove to be a very fine conventional scanner and/or a tapped scanner for decoding programs (such as Trunker or UniTrunker) and as has been mentioned previously, since it will not survive re-banding (unless your local Motorola TRS's don't use the new frequencies) then you will still have a fine desktop conventional and non-Motorola scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Only thing with the 2052 is that it doesn't do PL or DCS. If you're in an area that has numerous agencies sharing the same frequency, this can be a problem.

73 Mike

hoser147 said:
Not Sure what the date code but I believe there are 2 versions of the scanner..........Somebody correct me if Im wrong..............Hoser

You are correct. Although I don't remember the datecodes either.

Mine will do both, when I get home I can post it's datecode to give some sort of reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.