Pro 2053 300 channel

BASSNUT

Can anyone please tell me if there is a backlight on the pro-2053 Scanner I have read this manual from page to page and I see nothing about a backlight
thanks for any info.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I had one a long time ago and if I remember correctly if you push the lock light button that display will come on for 5 seconds or you can hold the lock light button and you'll hear a beep and the display should stay on. I think it was function 7 that you could adjust the contrast. Just working by memory here. It was a great GRE made radio. They do get old and often don't work as well as they did when they were new.

I guess I should look it up and make sure I'm right but I think I'm remembering correctly.

BASSNUT

I had one a long time ago and if I remember correctly if you push the lock light button that display will come on for 5 seconds or you can hold the lock light button and you'll hear a beep and the display should stay on. I think it was function 7 that you could adjust the contrast. Just working by memory here. It was a great GRE made radio. They do get old and often don't work as well as they did when they were new.

I guess I should look it up and make sure I'm right but I think I'm remembering correctly.
I already know how to do the contrast it's function and the number 9 what I need to know is there a backlight on this thing All the ones I've seen they're all green but I can't find anything and the manual about a light

BASSNUT

Yeah I already have that but the problem is it shows nothing on my scanner for a wrench or a light All the keys nothing mine is the 2053 pro 300 channel dual trunking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-152310~2.png
    Screenshot_20230306-152310~2.png
    450 KB · Views: 12

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Are we sure that unit has a backlight?

Marks scanners Pro-93/2053/95 says

1678145761905.png

Marks scanners shows one pic of keypad and its for the Pro 93 and has a button with a wrench & light bulb.

1678145823562.png

The Pro 2053 does not appear to have those same buttons with a wrench & light bulb.

1678145875737.png

The manual for the Pro 2053 does not list "Backlight" within.

I kind of remember those scanners having an orange backlight that was just always on. The 93 and 95 have the on off feature to help preserve battery life.

Last edited:

BASSNUT

Nope there is no backlight on this unit so without a light it's useless to me in the dark, no big thing I just wanted to play around with it probably give it to my friend or just sell it for a couple of bucks

Thanks for the help

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There is more than likely a thread or two out there on replacing the light. I know there is on for the 2052 model. A unit that old should be pretty easy to replace the bulb.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I clearly remember when I owned a PRO-2053. They had a green backlight as shown below.

images

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I do remember the 53 had a backlight as shown in the video above. I had all of those models and that's why I referred to the key lock, that's a key not a wrench and the light button.

Apparently the light went on on its own when you turned it on and in this case the original poster has a radio with the light burned out.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone please tell me if there is a backlight on the pro-2053 Scanner I have read this manual from page to page and I see nothing about a backlight
thanks for any info.
-
This is the ad from the 2002 Radio Shack catalog:

1678149592231.png

Reactions: wtp

BASSNUT

-
This is the ad from the 2002 Radio Shack catalog:

View attachment 137808
Yeah that just indicates the LED display I was talking about a light that I can see in the dark but unfortunately this one doesn't have one so basically it's kind of useless for me in the dark lol I just give it to my friend or just suffer for a couple bucks I just want to play with it

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
One thing I remember clearly after purchasing a number of these radios.

Digital, Motorola type ll smart Zone systems were spreading quickly from 2000 on. There were no digital scanners. Our mayor in my city GAVE my newspaper Motorola RX only radios in 2000.

After a lot of people spent a lot on radios like the pro 2053... GRE introduced the pro 96 in 2003 for Radio Shack. Changed everything.

Mo' money.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yeah that just indicates the LED display I was talking about a light that I can see in the dark but unfortunately this one doesn't have one so basically it's kind of useless for me in the dark lol I just give it to my friend or just suffer for a couple bucks I just want to play with it
The ad lists it as a backlit LCD display