PRO 2053 - Two Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busdriverstew

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question on the PRO 2053 I have. I'm reletivly new to the "scanning world" so please be gentle!

My scanner came with the standard scew in base antenna (five sections), and I also have a 800mhz (pigtail antenna) from the roof of an old school bus we had here (running the motorola system), attached with a BNC.

The two frequencies I listen to the most are in the 400's to 800's, but our local fire dept. here uses the the 100's. I keep my base antenna retracted down to one length (for the higher freq), and have my "pig tail" up against the highest window in our house (inside).

Can I leave both the antennas plugged in together or should I be unhooking one? I thought I had read in the manual that they recommend you use only one at a time, but i figured i'd check with you guys first.

I'm afraid If I have my antenna set for the 400-800 mhz's that I'll miss out on my local fire dept.

I was thinking about opening up my base antenna to about four sections and leaving the "pig tail" plugged in as well to catch the higher channels. Would this work? Or should I be eliminating one (antenna)?

Thanks.

aggie72

Premium Subscriber
There's a nice cheap antenna from Radio Shack that pretty much covers the entire scanner band. I documented the spectrum response in this thread. You will need a little space to mount it but I have one mounted in my attic and it picks up very well. You really don't want to mix more than one antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.