Pro 2055 and ARC-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

phughesatl

I have a Pro-2055 that I am trying to program with ARC-300. Can get it to read the scanner by selecting download from scanner and then pressing the up arrow on the scanner. When I try to upload from ARC-300 to the scanner it shows the data as transferring with the ARC program but the data never shows up in the scanner. Any suggestions?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I believe the PRO-2055 is a base version of the PRO-95. I'm using WIN95 for those models. I am not certain of the models that ARC-300 supports, but that family of models is PRO-97, PRO-164, PSR-300. And for those I use WIN97. So your issue may be using software not compatible for that model, but I am not 100% on that.

hill

Premium Subscriber
PRO-2055 isn't the base/mobile version of the PRO-95, it is the base/mobile version of the PRO-97. There isn't a base/mobile version of the PRO-95.

phughesatl

Cable worked with ARC500 on a different scanner. ARC300 tells me to use the stereo connector and not the mono. That is what I am trying.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Cable worked with ARC500 on a different scanner. ARC300 tells me to use the stereo connector and not the mono. That is what I am trying.
Have you tried the mono connector? That's what I use with my Pro-97, which is the handheld version of the same scanner ....

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll see if I can find it.
Wait, I was wrong, and I apologize. The Radio Shack USB cable for these scanners has a stereo plug on the end. There are places where it says, "If you have a stereo-to-mono adapter DON'T use it" but AFAIK I never even HAD such an adapter.

It's a stereo connector, not mono. Sorry, I should have double-checked the cable before I posted.

Which cable are you using?

phughesatl

Got this one on amazon. Valley Enterprises Radio Shack GRE Whistler FTDI USB Scanner Programming Cable 20-546

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Well, that *should* work.

I am so confused, since many online resources (including the easier to read manual" say that you need a MONO cable, yet I am sitting here with my Pro-97 and the cable I use (same as Pro-651/652 and WS1040/1065) and it clearly has a STEREO plug on the end, and when you bring up the "Download from Scanner" dialog box in ARC300, it clearly says "don't use the mono-stereo conversion cable".

When you plug the cable into your computer and scanner, the display on the scanner should say "** CLONE MODE **". Does it?

When you do the "Read" (from scanner) you should be able to select your model and COM port and hit "Start Download" and not ever touch the scanner. Does that work?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Whether or not you need the pigtail is directly related to the scanner model and the cable itself.

First some history. Original scanners used the SAME connection for TX & RX. Therefore a MONO cable was provided. Someone came out with a stereo cable where RX & TX were separated, and the pigtail was needed when the scanner had the MONO connection.

Later scanner models started to separate RX & TX and connected with a stereo connector. The early cable (20-047) was designed with a stereo connector but has the ability to transmit on the RX connection. This made the cable, without pigtail, able to connect to all GRE made scanners.

But since the cable originally listed for about $35 a lot of cheaper cables started to come out. And things were not always done the same. I think the 20-546 is a newer version of the 20-047, but I can't swear to it as I don't have one. I do have an RS 20-047 and a GRE model 100-016 that both work with all GRE made models and do not require a pigtail (but then it makes me wonder about the application software (not driver) using the cable.

phughesatl

When I plug the cable in it says clone mode. Inside the software i select read from scanner. It doesn't do anything till I hit the up arrow on the scanner to transfer data. When I try to Write to scanner ARC acts like it is transferring but no data shows up in the scanner. I'm going to try the mono cable as soon as I find it. I had one of the original Radio Shack cables but it got lost in my move.

Status
Not open for further replies.