Pro 2055 gone deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I have noticed very little comms on one of my Pro-2055's lately. I did some testing yesterday, only to find that the radio hears no more. Tried multiple antennas on all weather band channels (I usually get 5), and no sign of any signal at all. The 2055 hasn't been moved or changed. Has anyone seen this happen ?

Thank you

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes there are several possible scenarios. It sounds like you've tried all the basics.

One common problem is that the BNC antenna connector becomes disconnected inside the scanner. Not likely if you were not touching the scanner at all. It happens over time as people connect & disconnect antennas or use the antenna as a handle.

Another common problem is the squelch potentiometer. Not as likely on that specific model, but it happens. They are a mechanical device. I assume you hear the rushing sound with the squelch fully counter-clockwise, and that would rule that out if so.

Are you monitoring conventional channels or only a trunked radio system. Many trunked systems are finally going through the rebanding process and leaving many older scanners like that one deaf. This only affects some MOT type 800 MHz systems, so there's a lot left that scanner can pick up (perhaps just not what you really want).

The next thing I see is a blown transistor in the scanner but there is very little in these scanners in the front end that will take out ALL channels. They really are several different receivers all ganged together. So I'd expect you to receive something in at least one band. Have you tried VHF low, VHF hi, aircraft, 400 MHz UHF and 800 MHz UHF bands? Weather is VHF hi so that's one that doesn't work.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Here's a good one. Apparently it just needed to have the power disconnected for a while. I unhooked everything and removed the case to see if anything was obvious (which it was not). I put the case back on, connected the power and antenna, powered it up and it worked fine.....go figure.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a PIN diode

Some of the newer models (such as PSR-400) have a PIN diode in them. When there is "too much" signal applied to the antenna input, the PIN diode essentially shorts out the signal path to protect front end components. To reset the PIN diode you turn the power off on the scanner for a few seconds (not sure if it is held with a capacitor or not).

I am surprised to hear that the '2055 might have a PIN diode, but then again perhaps it was something they've been doing to base models for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.