Pro-2055

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecryar

Now that i've finally found that this scanner is useful in my area, question -- what do YOU think its worth? I know of one at a pawn shop, apparently comes with the unit, power cord, possibly car cord, mounting bracket, and external speaker, as well as a couple of jack cables(didn't look at all of them thoroughly, quick glance, but adapter type headphone jack with 2 cables plugged into that, etc..). The only thing it doesn't have is the antenna, but on the next shelf there is a bearcat with a perfectly good antenna I'm thinking I can tell them Its not worth a thing unless I can have that antenna. Keep in mind only reason i'll do that is because I'm really on a budget right now. I'll get a base antenna later. I know from past experience this set up will do what i want for right now.

$70 a good price?

joecryar

thanks Diesel, but I've already looked that route. I've looked there, all over CL, etc.. its not that i'm specifically looking for a 2055, that just happens to be the one I found less than 2 miles from my house. If I can find one cheaper that's worth the cash and does what I need it to, then I'll go that route. I just wanted to see what people on here(people that actually use and know how to use, various equipment) think of the unit, and what a good price would be for it. If I just go by what I've researched, I'd say yes, it is a good price. I just like to check, double check, check again, etc.. because there isn't much cashflow right now(technically this will be a christmas gift from family, otherwise I wouldn't be spending it at all)....
Sorry, i know i'm a bit long winded, I just figure it helps if people understand exactly where i'm coming from and what i'm looking for. :) thanks!

joecryar

I'm aware of the display problems. I did see one thread somewhere that it was solved by unplugging the connector on the board, and plugging it back in. "reseating" it, so to speak. It might or might not be that easy, who knows. These are things i keep in mind when considering this unit. no antenna, display issue reputation. I may go offer them 50 if i can have the antenna from the other scanner, we'll see. thanks!

phoenix

I have 1 .... works great. I did have the display problem, sent it to RS (long story) got it finally fixed right. Have it a few years since then with no problems. Fire it up, if you can, check the display. Bring any BNC antenna with you to check if it receives the weather channels. $70 doesn't sound too outrageous.

Steve

Nasby

Its a great scanner if the display is good. I think the display issue was only with a specific group of them made during a certain date. You can research the date codes of the bad batch and see if the one at the pawn shop matches or not.
I would say 50-70 bucks is a fair price for the 2055. Also, you might want to check Craig's list. I've found several inexpensive scaners there.

joecryar

craigslist in this and surrounding areas doesn't have much, best i've found there right now is a pro-2006 for 40. I'm going to go to the shop shortly and see what I can do with it. I have no antenna to put on it, but i'm sure I can use the one off the bearcat above it. We'll see. I just don't want to get a piece of junk, pay too much for it, and not enjoy it. The 2006 would be great, I can mod that one, but no trunking. oh well, decisions decisions....thanks!

joecryar

Thanks ohio, I noted that when i did the research. Fortunately, for what i'll be using it for, most of the places in my area have no intention, apparently, of upgrading anytime soon, considering the police of the city i live in still use the same equipment that they were using when i left here in 97..LOL i have no doubt that eventually most all place will upgrade, or have to, by then i'll have a better setup, if we're all still allowed to use 'em....:)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FYI - The 2055 does not support rebanding.

It would be more correct to say that the 2055, like it's handheld brother the PRO-97, cannot be modified with an upgrade to support rebanding. If the system in question has a '5' in the 4th decimal position in every frequency in the system, the scanner might just work with a little reprogramming. If any of them have a '0' there instead, traffic will indeed be missed when it lands on that frequency.

Unfortunately this is one type of case that has to be checked on a system-by-system basis.

Mike

joecryar

So, with rebanding and such, in this specific area(boaz, sardis, dekalb, marshall, etc.) what are thoughts? maybe a year? less or more? I figure my scanner is working right now. A year from now I'll have a much better setup...

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It would be more correct to say that the 2055, like it's handheld brother the PRO-97, cannot be modified with an upgrade to support rebanding. If the system in question has a '5' in the 4th decimal position in every frequency in the system, the scanner might just work with a little reprogramming. If any of them have a '0' there instead, traffic will indeed be missed when it lands on that frequency.

Unfortunately this is one type of case that has to be checked on a system-by-system basis.

Mike

Two of the seven frequencies do not have the 5. Their police and fire are also digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.