Pro-2096 & 96 at Closing RS stores @$300.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Today I was able to purchase several Pro-2096 for $300. at one of the Radio Shack store's that are closing. They are 30% off and with their post card you can get another 10% off. If you use their creidt card you can get terms of 6 month, 12 months or 18 months interest free. That should make it worth while.

K9GTJ

If I could only find one nearby I might take one. It seems all stores I can find that are closing in Indiana are out of stock.

bratsch

420 dollars versus 300 dollars, Oh my, there is a little bit of price difference there, it there that much profit margin in these scanners

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
RS is not selling them even close to a profit at $300 - as I recall the licensing for the digital side was $250 per unit.

MacombMonitor

rdale said:
RS is not selling them even close to a profit at $300 - as I recall the licensing for the digital side was $250 per unit.

WOW! Who gets the $250.00?

mancow

Database Admin
Hmmm, anyone want to trade a Transcrypt/International (EF Johnson) Stealth25 800Mhz portable for a 2096? It's the 501X model that does smartnet/smartzone and P25 digital voice. I'm not sure if it is full P25 compliant with 9600 trunking as opposed to P16 3600.

Anyway, it's a alpha numeric, backlit, KEYPAD PROGRAMMABLE, P25 digital audio capable 800Mhz two way that uses Motorola chargers and audio accessories.

KC8NIY

I'd venture an educated guess that RS breaks even right at the $300 price point.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96

If you go on RS web site put in zip code 34231 and at Pavillon Store @ 941-927-7769 they have a Pro 96 available. You might want to talk to Phil. I think you all missed the point on the no-interest billing, to use their money for up to 18 months is golden.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack Post Card

They sent out a post card for an extra 10% off there lowest price until May 29th, and they probably got there list from there credit card holders. At any closing store they are aware of this card and should have one at the check out desk, as this card can be scanned for the extra discount.

swest90

I picked up a 2096 today.. I couldnt resist the $325 price tag.. And man am I disappointed.. I guess I should have taken the lesson from the 2055 that I bought a few months ago that just sits in the corner. These are the worst scanners I have ever owned. They do have a strong receive but the user interface and operation is absolutely horrible. You cant even enter more then one range in a trunking system without the software, so it is USELESS to me. I dont feel like paying an extra $30-40 for software and $20 for a cable just to enter a second range so that it properly tracks the one system I am trying to monitor. If you are a uniden user STAY AWAY from these or be prepared to pull your hair out. To you people that are RS/GRE lovers that havent tried the newer unidens, you are missing out big time. These things are like running dos 3.0 compared to Windows XP.

If I am dumb and misread the manual on page 58 then please let me know.

** Edit: Its not at all useless, I was way to harsh in my initial impressions there. It doesnt work exactly how I would like it to, but thats ok. The digital sounds great almost on par with my M astros. I will end up buying the software and cable, It is however a major shortfall that you cant change the 2nd and 3rd ranges from the keypad.

Shawn

Last edited:

MacombMonitor

swest90 said:
You cant even enter more then one range in a trunking system without the software, so it is USELESS to me.
Shawn

That should be no problem. What is preventing you from doing so?

swest90

Well I can only enter one range. The system I am trying to monitor has two ranges.
469.0500 380 12.5
482.1625 590 12.5

I can get to the point to enter the first one. But I see no where to get to thse second entry. The arrow buttons just move the cursor around the display... Page 58 of the manual states
"Systems with multiple channel ranges can be programmed using PC application software."

Like I said, I may be jumping the gun here, If there is a way please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn

drouse3

Sorry to here how unhappy you are with the pro-2096, but you are correct it works better with win96 to program it. I have own scanners since 1984 and my would not be able to use my pro-96 it without win96 and the great help from this site. I will say one thing that my GRE scanners have been my choice for user friendly. All scanner today are not fun to get up in running with the items that must be put in to get them to work.

PS. Do not use scancat-lite to program your pro-2096, buy win96.

swest90 said:
I picked up a 2096 today.. I couldnt resist the $325 price tag.. And man am I disappointed.. I guess I should have taken the lesson from the 2055 that I bought a few months ago that just sits in the corner. These are the worst scanners I have ever owned. They do have a strong receive but the user interface and operation is absolutely horrible. You cant even enter more then one range in a trunking system without the software, so it is USELESS to me. I dont feel like paying an extra $30-40 for software and $20 for a cable just to enter a second range so that it properly tracks the one system I am trying to monitor. If you are a uniden user STAY AWAY from these or be prepared to pull your hair out. To you people that are RS/GRE lovers that havent tried the newer unidens, you are missing out big time. These things are like running dos 3.0 compared to Windows XP.

If I am dumb and misread the manual on page 58 then please let me know.

** Edit: Its not at all useless, I was way to harsh in my initial impressions there. It doesnt work exactly how I would like it to, but thats ok. The digital sounds great almost on par with my M astros. I will end up buying the software and cable, It is however a major shortfall that you cant change the 2nd and 3rd ranges from the keypad.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.