Pro 2096 ALL CHANNELS LOCKED OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Check out this article from the Wiki; Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki this
list out which scanners would require the pigtail.

Regards,
Keith

I stand corrected. First, thanks for the Wiki link. I was not aware this one existed.
Either way, after reading the Wiki, I had to do some testing as mine was definitely working in reverse of what the Wiki states.
It turns out that under Win 7; I can use or not use the "pigtail" as the Wiki calls it. It works on the Pro 93, 95 and 96 with or without it. I did not test the PSR 500 and 600 or the radio shack equivalents as they are more or less hard wired for my setup.
But, when I try the same thing from Win XP, I must do it the way the Wiki states or it will not talk to the radios. I found that odd but interesting. I do not program the radios much at all so I just used the first combination that worked but little did I know that is was really incorrect.
So in theory, I've been doing it backwards ever since I've had Win 7 installed.
I guess Win 7 must setup the FTDI chipset different then when used under XP.

N8IAA

I stand corrected. First, thanks for the Wiki link. I was not aware this one existed.
Either way, after reading the Wiki, I had to do some testing as mine was definitely working in reverse of what the Wiki states.
It turns out that under Win 7; I can use or not use the "pigtail" as the Wiki calls it. It works on the Pro 93, 95 and 96 with or without it. I did not test the PSR 500 and 600 or the radio shack equivalents as they are more or less hard wired for my setup.
But, when I try the same thing from Win XP, I must do it the way the Wiki states or it will not talk to the radios. I found that odd but interesting. I do not program the radios much at all so I just used the first combination that worked but little did I know that is was really incorrect.
So in theory, I've been doing it backwards ever since I've had Win 7 installed.
I guess Win 7 must setup the FTDI chipset different then when used under XP.

I have run Win96, 97, and 500 on both my XP pc and Windows 7 pc. Did not have to load any drivers on Win7 for the USB cable.
Larry

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have run Win96, 97, and 500 on both my XP pc and Windows 7 pc. Did not have to load any drivers on Win7 for the USB cable.
Larry

I also use the default drivers that XP or 7 installed. I do find that the FTDI based adapters often have more settings available under the advanced tab when compared to the Prolific based chipsets. In general, FTDI offers many more options especially if you use their eeprom tools but I never changed anything on the GRE or RadioShack branded adapters sold for the scanners.

sfx777

I have a GRE psr 295 (am in UK) and myn is new and says all channels locked out!!! How can i fix this, have tried everything and this model doesnt come with software or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.