Pro 2096 ALL CHANNELS LOCKED OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge43

Premium Subscriber
what the heck does that mean and how do I fix it?

Already tried reset and initialize. No change.

Any help please?

Sarge

Swipesy

I assume you are not using Win96 which would allow you highlight the Lockout column and unlock the frequencies. If not using Win96 the only way I know how to clear locked out is to go bank by bank and unlock each channel number by pressing the l/out button. The easiest way of course is to use Don Starr's Win96.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have win96. There is nothing loaded in the scanner right now.

That is why they are all locked out! By default, empty channels are locked out as they cannot be scanned.
Try entering some valid frequencies in some of the channels and your message should go away.

Sarge43

Premium Subscriber
ok tell me this. obviously I'm doing something wrong. using win96 and radio reference. Do I need to set the scanner some way before it will take the upload?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
ok tell me this. obviously I'm doing something wrong. using win96 and radio reference. Do I need to set the scanner some way before it will take the upload?

What programming cable are you using?
I think if you use the one radio shack sells then you need to use that little short adapter which changes the tip from three terminals to two.
What happens when you tell Win96 to read or download from the scanner?
I only have the Pro-96 but the above should apply to the 2096.

Also, when you plug the programming cable into the 2096, does it say *CLONE MODE* in the display window on the scanner?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
yep using the adapter and clone mode comes up

That all sounds like it should.
What happens when you click Download from Scanner under the Scanner menu in Win96? Watch the display on your 2096 and see if it shows Sending Data or something along those lines.
If it does then your computer is at least talking with the 2096.

I'm not sure what happens when you try and read a blank scanner though. I'll clear mine and see.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My 96 still reads via Win96 even after I initialized it to defaults so yours should also do the same.

Make sure Win96 is talking with the 2096 before anything else and report back on that.

Sarge43

Premium Subscriber
ok how do I do that? I switched from the PC to the laptop. I have win96 set to read back and it seems to upload without a problem. Then I unplug the cable and hit trunk or scan and still get all channels locked out.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
ok how do I do that? I switched from the PC to the laptop. I have win96 set to read back and it seems to upload without a problem. Then I unplug the cable and hit trunk or scan and still get all channels locked out.

It sounds like you are doing something wrong in Win96.

First you need to do a web import from RadioReference. Select your state and county and then the system of interest. Make sure you place a check in the site and talkgroup check boxes for the system you are wanting.
This will select all frequencies and talkgroups if a trunked system.
Then click the "Import this system" button in Win96.
It will go to a screen that allows you to select the bank. Leave all this at the default for now and hit the OK button and then click Done.
You should now be back at the normal Win96 screen.
Under the Settings/Weather tab, make sure the bank you used is checked (should be 0). You can also uncheck any banks you are not using. So if you stuck with the defaults during the import then you should have at least Bank 0 selected.
Then look under the Channels tab for Bank 0 and make sure the channels that display frequencies do not have the LOut box selected. If Lout is marked then unmark it by clicking the box for each channel that is marked. Only do this for channels that have valid frequencies in them. The ones with all zero's can be left how they are.
Then make sure your cable is plugged into your computer and 2096 and go up to the Scanner menu at the top of the Win96 screen and click it, then click Upload to Scanner.
This should start the writing of data to the 2096. After it finishes uploading, unplug your data cable from the scanner and it should reboot by itself and start scanning Bank 0.
You may wish to also save this at this time from the File/Save As menu in Win96.
I hope this works as I'm not very good at explaining things!
If it does not then hopefully someone else will chime in and offer better assistance.

Let us know if this helped or not.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
bought ARC96 and finally there is joy in Muddville !

That is great! Gommert writes some good stuff and I often use both his as well as Don's.
Now that you have that going, I'm sure you will figure out Win96 unless you were just trying the trial version. Win96 does work well once you figure it out.

Anyhow, glad you found something that worked!

N8IAA

yep using the adapter and clone mode comes up

I know that you got your scanner running, but, when you say adapter...........Did you use the extra piece that came with the USB cable? If you did, it won't read from the scanner, or send to the scanner. Just use the cable without the extra adapter. Used to have a 96 and never had a problem with either the RS232 or USB cable.
Larry

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I know that you got your scanner running, but, when you say adapter...........Did you use the extra piece that came with the USB cable? If you did, it won't read from the scanner, or send to the scanner. Just use the cable without the extra adapter. Used to have a 96 and never had a problem with either the RS232 or USB cable.
Larry

Are you sure that is not reversed? I've always needed the extra adapter for the Pro 93,95 and 96. On those three models, mine only needed the tip and sleeve and not the ring. On the newer GRE based digital models then I cannot use the adapter as they require the tip,ring and sleeve.
I still own all three (93,95,96) and must use the adapter for the scanners to talk to the software.

Either way, the OP was able to get it going so that is the most important!

Sarge43

Premium Subscriber
Larry

Really?! Yes, I did use the extra piece. Maybe I'll try it without that to do the next bank. I just ASSUMED I needed it since it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.