Pro 2096 and Howard County

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I was recently given a Pro 2096 from a friend and am trying to get it to work with the Howard County Police and Fire talk groups. I've read up on the 2096 programing thread and have loaded the rebanded frequencies and custom trunk tables from the RR database with Win96 but no luck.
Is anyone using the 2096 to monitor Howard County or is this scanner not compatible with their trunk system anymore?

Thanks in advance for any advice

-Scotty

riveter

Premium Subscriber
If your tables are correct, yes. HoCo is a Moto sys running APCO25 voice, so you should be good- that's what the 2096 is basically designed for. I don't have any RS scanner experience (GREhead here), so I can't really give buttonpushing advice, but for any radio the most common cause of un-working-ness is incorrect band table setup. If it's anything like the GRE scanners those are based on too, make sure the system type is set to Motorola Type II if there's an option for it.

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. The scanner seems to be following the talk groups but when the squelch opens all I get is noise. The group IDs will show up, site, VC frequencies, etc. but nothing but noise when it opens up. Hmm...I'll keep plugging away at it. This is my first trunking scanner so I'm having fun with it but starting to get a little frustrated with getting to work LOL

Thanks again

-Scotty

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dumb question - is the bank set to MOT and *each* channel set to MO? I *think* you need to do both... Mike

riveter

Premium Subscriber
^ That's what I was thinking of above. If it's actually opening sq though, hmmm.. that sounds kinda weird.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Probably the only way to really solve the question of whether there's a user error in programming is to take the Win96 file, zip it up and attach it to a message. Then other Win96 users can see what was done and perhaps see what's missing, because it seems that is likely the problem here.

There are numerous good zip utilities out there, but I recommend the freeware 7-Zip - it does most everything you need, and it's free (OK I'm cheap, but I'm unemployed...)

7-Zip

Mike

talkpair

Thanks for the reply. The scanner seems to be following the talk groups but when the squelch opens all I get is noise. The group IDs will show up, site, VC frequencies

Do the voice frequencies match those in the database?

If you getting some wild frequencies showing up, the table is most likely the problem.

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies all,

LOL, I'm sure it is user error!
The bank is set for MOT. I'll check the to see if each channel is set to MO. I believe they are but need to double check when I get home from work tonight. Didn't have a chance to play around with it last night. I'll also zip and attach the Win 96 file I have. I got the data directly from the RR database through Win 96.
I have not checked to see if the voice frequencies that show up match the data base. Again, I'll check tonight when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again everyone!

-Scotty

baybum

Is there someone following along that has a valid WIN 96 file for Howard County that they can post here?

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Hi Baybum
I see your in Ellicott City. Me too. I live in the old historic district on Main Street. Well, I just got home from work and have the scanner up and Win 96 running. Double checking the recommendations..... One thing that I'm curious about is the firmware version. It appears the one I have is 1.0. I've seen references to a version 1.4 in searches but have yet to find a valid link to a file. Not even sure what the latest might be. Perhaps that is part of my issue.

Thanks for helping out!
I'm very grateful to have been given this scanner as a gift and from all indications I should be able to get it do what I want it too...... The hunt goes on! LOL.
I enjoy this sort of thing anyway

-cheers
-Scotty

Last edited:

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Here is the latest file I tried. Also found the version 1.4 firmware update and put that in the scanner.
Bank 6 is the Police and Bank 7 is Fire/EMS

thanks
-Scotty

Attachments

• Scotty Win96 file.p96.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 39

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Here is the latest file I tried. Also found the version 1.4 firmware update and put that in the scanner.
Bank 6 is the Police and Bank 7 is Fire/EMS

thanks
-Scotty

No luck yet. I must be missing something. Oh yeah, programming skills! LOL

-Scotty

talkpair

When the scanner steers to a voice channel, are the voice channel frequencies shown on the scanner's display in agreement with the frequencies in the database for the site you are trying to receive?

baybum

The best way to troubleshoot is to substitute with a "known-good".
If anyone has a current WIN 96 file they can post here for Scotty-o to try, that would be very useful.
Even though he states he loaded the file from RR, it would be helpful if he had a "known good".

I am monitoring Howard County with my Pro-96, but I don't have the tables set up correctly, I manually entered the re-banded freqs.
I won't have time to save my file and post until possibly the weekend.

Scotty, welcome to the board.

Mike

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the welcome, Mike!
I've been a bit of a lurker and just recently joined RR. I'll be taking my Technician level ham radio exam this weekend so I'm jumping in with both feet so to speak LOL.
If your getting HoCo on your 96, then I I'll be able to on the 2096. Thanks for the input! I'll have to buy you a beer at the Judges Bench. They have some stellar craft beers on tap these day. It'll get figured out.

-Scotty

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Try this, I adjusted your custom tables.

Attachments

• Scotty_2 Win96 file.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

baybum

Thanks Kevin, I'll try to get that file in my 96 this weekend to verify it works here in the county.
Scotty, let us know if you get it loaded before then.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Thanks Kevin, I'll try to get that file in my 96 this weekend to verify it works here in the county.
Scotty, let us know if you get it loaded before then.

10-4, no guarantees, I'm 1500 miles away. :D

scotty-o

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks Kevin! I'm still at work but will try it out as soon as I get home.

-Scotty

baybum

Kevin, what format is that file in???
Can you just upload the raw .p96 file without zipping it?
I can't do anything with it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.