PRO-2096 - can't clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmamtm

I have a working pro-2096 that i have been using for several years. i have been able to clone this unit to other ( used )units without issue. however. my friend bought a NIB pro-2096 and i can't get it to clone. using win96 and a radio shack cable. it goes thru the steps, just no results. am i missing something that has to be done to an new out of the box unit?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Have you tried cloning directly from one scanner to the other without the software (Win96)?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Pro-96 and Pro-2096 require mono connectors on the cables. You need the mono adapter on the end of your USB cable. The cloning cable requires mono connectors on both ends. Are you plugging the cable into the headphone jack instead of the PC/IF jack? That is a very common error.

cmamtm

the radio shack cable goes in the pc/if jack on the scanner, and a com port on the pc running win96. i download the info from my
working scanner, then upload to new scanner. but still doesnt work. as stated i have cloned several units in the past without issue. i do have a mono cable to go scanner to scanner on the way.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is the cable plugged in all of the way. Sometimes, you have to push hard to get it to fully seat. Does your software have an auto detect function?

cmamtm

ok. new point to point mono cloning cable came in. no luck. it is showing that data is being transferred. i can read the data after cloning. comparing the source and target data i can't see any difference. i also went thru radioreference and did the import frequencies scenario....still the same. data seems to be in scanner. but no hits on any frequency. i havent given up yet

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you hear RF noise when you open the squelch? You should if there are any conventional frequencies without a PL tone. Try swapping antennas between the 2 scanners.

cmamtm

Do you hear RF noise when you open the squelch? You should if there are any conventional frequencies without a PL tone. Try swapping antennas between the 2 scanners.

yes. i do hear rf noise.

Are you stating that the programming of the scanner was successful, but you are not picking up any traffic as compared to your working unit?

the programming appears to be successful. yet no traffic compared to working unit. they are within 3 feet of each other. i can read the new scanner with win96 and/or arc96 after cloning and it appears to be identical in all settings. i have cloned with software and a direct cable. all seems to go as expected. as previously stated, i have successfully cloned other scanners from my original with great success. this one has me stumped.

BananaPepper

I would also check the NOAA first. Last year I had a situation with a customers scanner (Pro106) that sounds similar. After digging out my notes on it I found the solution in V Scanner Memory. It was my solution, maybe not yours. He brought in a Pro106 for programming, I use Win500 and W96 to program scanners. (not a clone scanner to scanner). After failed attempts, I found I could program the file to a V folder, call it up on the scanner and it worked. I do not know why the main memory did not work but the V folder did. You mentioned you were using Win96, when you click on the scanner tab, choose virtual scanner instead of download to scanner. Follow the flow in the program, choose the file you want in the scanner. If you have access to the owners manual, take a peek at the V Scanner Memory section. Hope this may help or lead you to an answer.

cmamtm

Are you able to receive the NOAA weather frequencies? When you say NIB, do you mean new in box?

yes. new in the box. my friend bought it on ebay because i have the same scanner and he has another one at home as well. i've never had any issue getting scanners to work. until now. i'll check on the weather freq....

cmamtm

i can not receive any weather information. cycling thru the diff frequencies with the WX button only gives static at all times

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i can not receive any weather information. cycling thru the diff frequencies with the WX button only gives static at all times
-
Sounds like you got one of those Fleabay bargains (DOA).... Any chance of returning it for a refund? If not, try opening it up and see if you can spot anything obvious, like a disconnect between the board and the internal antenna connection.

Last edited:

cmamtm

-
Sounds like you got one of those Fleabay bargains (DOA).... Any chance of returning it for a refund? If not, try opening it up and see if you can spot anything obvious, like a disconnect between the board and the internal antenna connection.

the ebay ad states full refund if not satisfied for any reason. i've started the return process and will let ya know when i actually get the refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.