PRO-2096 Display failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
I know this has been covered quite a bit in this forum... this is just a thread to document my repair story--hope it's a short one.

I bought my 2096 just over a year ago--date stamp of 06A07. It's the scanner that you see in my avatar, and has run without a hitch even during the cold months, when it needed to be warmed up a bit, before the screen became full functional.

A few days ago, I climbed in, turned the knob, and got nothing on the screen except a really nice, bright orange light. The sound was fine, but no LCD. I performed the ribbon cable operation that I heard of many times on the RR with no success...

So I broke down and took it to a Radio Shack Store, in Pasadena, MD. I paid my $20 deposit, and they gave me a receipt, saying that it would be lovingly sent to the repair facility in West Berlin, NJ.

Will keep you posted on what happens. Wish me luck.

Regards,

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
2096 back & working

I got the scanner back today, the end result:

- total cost $91.79
- techs replaced LCD part # L90662, and found some broken wiring--didn't specify where

Total time for repair was less than two weeks... not bad at all.

Will see how long the display lasts.

Regards,

bfpdb

My experience goes as follows, new 2096 lasted a couple of months, Radio Shack sent in for repair which took 2 weeks, it then lasted a couple of more months, they then replaced the entire unit with a new one, it has lasted nearly six months and now it s display has gone out, i think the warranty is has now expired but not sure.
This really does suck after paying $400 for this thing. great scanner if the display didnt go out on a regular basis. i just contacted my local store and the manager is out today so well se what happens.

Good luck with your repair.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it does stink that I had to spend another $100 on the repair, but the digital decode on this scanner is second to none. I monitor a couple of digital systems at the edge of my listening range, and no other scanner does as good a job as this one does--especially when you're on the fringe.

Bfpdb, thanks for the heads up about the replacement after a couple of repairs, I'll keep that in mind if the display goes out again. I'm keeping the repaired unit at home for monitoring, and got a second, older unit for my in-dash install... I'm wondering if the older unit will fair better in the car. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

WA4MJF

I bought one new today and the display had a bunch of short black bars. So I took it back and supposed to get another one Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.