Pro-2096 for Houston? Best $250 Scanner Option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treytexag

I've got a Radio shack Pro-2096 coming in to a local RS store for $250 (brand new in box) - as you know, the 2096's are being cleared out. I'm new to scanning, and want to scan all the local PD, FD, sherriff, etc. I've been looking around, and trying to figure out if the Pro-2096 is the scanner I should get for this price.

Anybody know if the Pro-2096 is the best radio for Houston / Harris County for $250? If not, which scanner would you recommend for Houston / Harris County for around $250?

Please advise your thoughts folks. Sure appreciate your help.

Trey

PS: RS guy told me if I don't like it, I can return within 30 days.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Welcome to the RadioReference forums. We have a variety forums on here to choose from so it's important to post your question or request to the proper forum to get the best answer. At the top of the busy forums are Stickies which guide you where to post your question. I've moved your post from the General Scanning forum to this one as it's most applicable. In GenScan is a sticky (below) that helps with where to post. Please make note. Thanks.

NewUsers.jpg

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
A 2096 will work well for the near future in the Houston area. The only thing it will not pick up is the new P25 STARNet ramping up in the area and that is due to the frequencies being used in the Houston proper area, which are in the 700 MHz range for the most part.

treytexag

Thanks Lou, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I was pretty sure the 2096 would work now, but I was less sure that upcoming upgrades to systems in the area would be accomodated by the 2096.

OK, so now the obvious question. What is the next step up for a scanner that will handle the new P25 STARnet system in the 700MHz range? Do I have to go all the way up to the $500 price point, or is there a good choice nearer the $250 I can get the 2096 for?

Please advise men. BTW, sure appreciate the help.

Trey in Houston

treytexag

Perhaps a more relevent question may be, how quick does a P25 STARnet system upgrade to the 700 MHz frequencies generally take? In other words, if I bought the Pro-2096 today, how many weeks / months / years might the Prop-2096 scan all relevent channels in Houston / Harris County until the changeover?

Of course I'm sure no one knows for sure, but in general, would a Pro-2096 purchased today be a fairly useful investment, or are we talking in just a few weeks it not being able to monitor most of Houston / Harris county?

Thanks again, and appreciate any input on this.

Trey in Houston

redhelmet13

Although it will not trunk on 700Mhz, it is a n excellent scanner none the less. I would not get rid of it since it handles P25 Conv and trunked on all the other bands except 700. Get something that does 700 trunking and keep the 2096 as additional resource.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Agreed.

In addtion, with the introduction of the upgraded 'XT' models of the Uniden product line, the original 'T' models will be (and have been) discounted. Most retailers of Uniden products are smaller than RadioShack; however, and cannot afford to take a loss on dumping an obsolete product they already have on the shelves. This is an older, and somewhat off topic, discussion; but he ~$500 price tag on digital scanners is not based soley on supply and demand, there is an increased cost for the licensing of the P25 decoding contained in the radios.

treytexag

Thanks gents. I went ahead and picked up the PRO 2096. As suggested by others, I can learn about scanning with it. I like it so far, just been scanning on the preset SR3 setting. Lou, I see you're in Katy, I'm not far from you.

Anyway, seems like I need to purchase something called win96 and get a p96 file from a local - is that the next steps guys? Is there a beginners guide / dummys guide to programming the Pro 2096?

If anyone has some hints here, please point me in the right direction.

Trey in Houston

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...Lou, I see you're in Katy, I'm not far from you.
Not sure where you are, I am presently located just south of Keith Harrow and N. Fry. The PO insists on calling this Katy, even though Katy is a pretty far walk (or drive) from where I live. However I have lived all over the west side of Houston over the last 10 years and even was living in League City during Ike.

Anyway, seems like I need to purchase something called win96 and get a p96 file from a local - is that the next steps guys? Is there a beginners guide / dummys guide to programming the Pro 2096?

If anyone has some hints here, please point me in the right direction.

Trey in Houston
Go to Starrsoft.com and download Win96. Don offers a 30 day demo and you can get pretty familiar with it in that period of time, it also will give you insight as to how the radio memory is organized. And since you have a premium membership, you can download directly from the DB here on RR with the software. It is probably the best software solution for the Pro-96/2096 around.

treytexag

Thanks Lou. I'm not in Katy either, actually a little east of you, not far from I-10 and the Belt. Anyway, seem to have gotten the programming thing to work on the 2096. Had to study so hard I felt like I was back in grad school!

Now that I've been able to get the local RRef frequ's loaded in, 2096 is working pretty nice!! Thanks for the response sir.

Trey

SCPD

QRT
Hey Tray, get Win96 from Starssoft, also available in the WiKi pages under Scanner programing software. This way you can many files for the many needs you will surely run accross. Not a bad buy for $250.00 and it will do DPS and many conventional Digital users fine for some time to come. But yeah, when you Find $500.00 in the money tree, grab a Pro-106 or the like for those new Systems which will be using new Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.