PRO-2096 Hums

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

So can we surmise that the AC Adapters included with the PRO-2096's are defective, and should be replaced with new ones that do not hum? I mean why should we have to pay for a new one, to eliminate the hum? This should be covered by warranty, even if it requires they give us a better one, if thats what it takes to fix the problem.

jeffrey420

Thanks to all for the input!

Yes you were right.

Maybe RS will get it right someday. With the price of the 2096, they could do a better filter job on the power supply.

jeffrey420

MacombMonitor said:
So can we surmise that the AC Adapters included with the PRO-2096's are defective, and should be replaced with new ones that do not hum? I mean why should we have to pay for a new one, to eliminate the hum? This should be covered by warranty, even if it requires they give us a better one, if thats what it takes to fix the problem.

That will be my next step. I figured even if they do take care of it that would take a while. The adapter I bought can be used for my PRO-97 also. I was wanting that anyway, maybe just not that big. But for $9 it was worth being able to use my scanner now. We are supposed to have storms this weekend, and without the hum i don't mind using the SAME weather alert when sleeping.

I'll post if they replace the adapter that came with it.

pinetree

It is not so much that the adapters are defective it is the lack of a large enough filtering capacitor or built in choke coil in the units, because of space. I go back a few years more than others I can remember loctal type tubes in mobile radios. I used to fix alternator whine in car radios by puting a speaker transformer in series with the hot lead. But they are the old days. Now space is the real problem. Glad that the new adapter works.

jeffrey420

Looking back

I can remember my first scanner. (BC20XLT) I think it had 20 memory channels. I thought that was great at the time. My neighbor had a scanner and a box of crystals he would swap in and out depending on what he wanted at the time. I think it had 5 spaces.

The last 30 years in radio has been phenomenal. The guys that I knew as a kid that had the crystal style radios are all dead and gone now. If they could see the toys we have today, they would be in Seventh Heaven.

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
adaptor

so
radio shack adaptor for getting rid of the hum......273-1667
i now just heard the hum on my unit last night with it in my room ...........

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
For those who hear hum on active channels.
The hum you are hearing when stopped on active channel could be the 1850 Hz from a repeater voting selector tone which is not properly filtered. Use a good pair of headphones and you'll really hear it.
jim
w8jjr

Last edited:

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
im not too dumb
273 1776 or 273 1667////
which one for the 2096?????

Status
Not open for further replies.