PRO-2096 Hums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey420

Is it normal for the 2096 to hum? I have a 2052 and it is as quiet as can be. The Pro-97 is quiet also. I just bought the 2096 and wandered if I should take it for service or just ignore the hum. Just notice it late in the evening when the only thing on is the scanner.

If anyone knows.......

Thanks, Me

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Do you mean the hum, when it's not receiving anything? Because it does hum when you have TG Hold on for instance, but you need to actually try HARD to hear it.

If you mean when it is receiving it is humming, it could be interference from electronics (PC, TV, stuff like that).

jeffrey420

2096 Hum

I'm using the stock power supply. It doesn't hum while monitoring voice, just as scanning for signals. I might try a differant power supply to see. I bought it at the RS store by me that is closing for $350. Now they have them down to $299. Thinking about getting the Pro-96 also for that price.

Last edited:

olddialtuner

Pro 2096 hum

Hi
My 2096 hums also. If you turn off volume you will hear power supply hum. My scanner has hum modulation on received signals also. Bum deal, that should never be a problem when you pay that kind of money for a piece of radio equipment. A few cents more for some decent filtering of the DC supply and this never would be a problem. I am thinking of opening up a gap in the supply wire to the radio and splicing in a good size filter across the wires. I had to do that with a universal DC power supply I bought years ago for a radio I bought from the Shack. That supply came from the Shack also.

OLDDIALTUNER

jeffrey420

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied! I think you hit it on the head olddialtuner...

pinetree

The pro-2066 had the same problem the solution is to use the following power supply

1.5-12VDC/300mA Regulated AC-to-DC Adapter
Model: 273-1662 | Catalog #: 273-1662
Try it I think you may solve your problem

jeffrey420

Not enough juice

pinetree said:
The pro-2066 had the same problem the solution is to use the following power supply

1.5-12VDC/300mA Regulated AC-to-DC Adapter
Model: 273-1662 | Catalog #: 273-1662
Try it I think you may solve your problem

The only problem is that the 2096 draws 600ma...

DickH

jeffrey420 said:
Is it normal for the 2096 to hum? I have a 2052 and it is as quiet as can be. The Pro-97 is quiet also. I just bought the 2096 and wandered if I should take it for service or just ignore the hum.

The power supply doesn't have enough filtering.
There should be a surplus electronics shop in your area with surplus computer equipment. They should have lots of well filtered power supplies for around $5-$10.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You could try this:

Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core $5.29
Model: Snap-together ferrite Choke Core
Catalog #: 273-105

Effective, easy-to-use RFI fighter.
Cut down on RFI (radio frequency interference) with this snap-together Ferrite Choke Core. Simply snap it over any coax cable, AC or audio cord.

pinetree

My mistake wrong number it should have been Model: 273-1667
800ma should be enough
sorry for the mistake

jeffrey420

No problem

I will have to go see if I can find that supply at one of the closing stores.

I should have looked for the bigger one when I checked it out on-line.

I might try the snap on thing first. I wonder if that will work on the power supply cord since it is DC.

VintageJon

Really sounds like a lack of filtering. 3 pin regulator and 4 small caps inside the wall-wart would solve this, but you can't open the damn thing.

External Pi filter of 4700uF a 4.7 Ohm Resitor and 4700uF following a TIP31C with
around 2200uF from base to collector would damn sure do it. Schematic and layout available if you email or PM me.
(Believe I have email ON, but could be wrong....)

73's,
Jon
muse@texas.net just in case I don't...

Using RS cat # 273-1767A on a Pro96 with no noise.

pinetree

You can try it but I tried everything till I found a note on this on some forum poss. RR This was the only thing that worked.

jeffrey420

Thanks

pinetree said:
You can try it but I tried everything till I found a note on this on some forum poss. RR This was the only thing that worked.

I will give it a try. If I can find it at the closing store it will only be about $10. Then I can also use it for the PRO-97.

Thanks Dave

Jeff

jeffrey420

Power supply

pinetree said:
My mistake wrong number it should have been Model: 273-1667
800ma should be enough
sorry for the mistake

Finally made it to one of the closing stores today. They had the power supply I needed (273-1667). Got it for $9 with the discount. Had to go to a second store to get the tip I needed. They gave it to me since it wasn't in the package. Got a car power supply free for my PRO-97 at the first store because they didn't have the tip I needed. Good day shopping the shack!

I'm happy to say NO MO HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Thanks for the tip Dave.....

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Ha so I was right :) Good to hear you got it taken care of. I had the same problem with my 2066 and 2067 so I figured you had the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.