Pro-96: Pro-2096 Not picking up Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0WYF

I have a 106 that is working perfectly. Using software from the same company and loading the same digital frequencies and talk groups, digital picks up nothing on my 2096. I can manually stop on one of the frequencies and occasionally hear traffic, but on scan - nothing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're going to have to be a lot more specific if you want help. A few questions come to mind...

a. Precisely what system and site(s) are you trying to hear?
b. What antenna(s) are you using?
c. How did you program said system(s)? Software used?
d. What is your signal level using the 2096?
e. If the signal level is good, did you try the VR4 (or whatever the right control is on the 2096) adjustment? This is an old scanner, after all...
f. Just as a point to eliminate - the 2096 can't trunk in the 700 Mhz band, even if you use the well known expansion trick. Nor can it do Phase 2 trunking

Mike

N0WYF

a. P25 Missouri Statewide Inter from transmitters in Boonville, MO
b. Discone up 20 ft., located 3 miles from tower.
c. RC500 1.16 build 1/RS - Full Version
d. Signal strength is excellent. I read a post about turning attenuator on. Will try that, since I'm so close to the tower..
e. I have not adjusted VR4
f. Frequencies are in the 154-158 range, so band is no problem.

Thanks. 73.

Voyager

The alignment usually affects 800 MHz before other bands, so VHF is likely not going to be an alignment issue. Yes, try the attenuator.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Punch in your Control channel for that Trunked system. RRef says Boonville site in Cooper county should be 154.6950 and alternate is 155.60250. You should hear that control channel noise for one of them when done entering them. Does it show 96:BEE00 .. at the bottom when you have it manually stopped on the control channel? If not? you're not receiving it. IF this system is a P25 Phase 2 system? you can't hear it on the Pro96/2096. It doesn't say P2 by Boonville in the database so see if you are receiving it just by the above set up. Also your "mode" must match the setting for each channel and in the trunked area "prgm"-"trunk" must show the same mode either MO or whatever it is.
http://support.radioshack.com/manuals/ome20-496.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
a. P25 Missouri Statewide Inter from transmitters in Boonville, MO
b. Discone up 20 ft., located 3 miles from tower.
c. RC500 1.16 build 1/RS - Full Version
d. Signal strength is excellent. I read a post about turning attenuator on. Will try that, since I'm so close to the tower..
e. I have not adjusted VR4
f. Frequencies are in the 154-158 range, so band is no problem.

Thanks. 73.

You need to program extended table info in order for the Pro-2096 or Pro-96 to receive the VHF Moswin sites.

These old models cannot get that info from the control channel like your 106 can.

Here are some screenshots from Win 96 that show the extended table needed.
This has been in my Pro-96 for some time but I believe the info is still correct.

There is a thread somewhere here for this and maybe something in the Wiki also that explains the tables needed in these models for Moswin.
I'd try and find that thread or info as they may have added one more table line for some sites but I believe just the 5 lines in the 2nd screenshot are all that is needed for Moswin's VHF sites.
I know you need software to enter this data as it cannot be entered via the scanners keypad.
You also said you are using ARC500. That software will not work for the Pro-2096. It will only work for your Pro-106.
You need either WIN96 from starrsoft or ARC-96 from Butel to program your 2096 model.

You need to set the Mot 9600 CC to Multi Table as shown in the 1st pic and then click the Extended Tables button and enter the 5 lines of the custom (extended) table info from the 2nd picture.
I don't know how or where to enter the extended table info in ARC-96 but the info should be the same once you find the spot in your Arc software (assuming you do have ARC-96).
My screenshots are from Win96 as I never purchased Butel's ARC96.

Attachments

• 2096 Moswin custom table1.jpg
    2096 Moswin custom table1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 2096 Moswin custom table2.jpg
    2096 Moswin custom table2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 395
Status
Not open for further replies.