Pro-2096 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tel5499

I am a true rookie to the Digital/Trunking scene. This website has been great. When I program in a talkgroup(s) the display tells me that "all channels are locked". Why cant I scan? Thanks ahead of time.

seamusg

tel5499 said:
I am a true rookie to the Digital/Trunking scene. This website has been great. When I program in a talkgroup(s) the display tells me that "all channels are locked". Why cant I scan? Thanks ahead of time.
"all channels are locked" is saying you don't have any frequencies to scan. What system are you trying to put in and are you using WIN96 or doing it by hand?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Welcome to the forum.

Click the Selected RR Wiki link under my signature for a 2096 programming shortcut.

tel5499

seamusg said:
"all channels are locked" is saying you don't have any frequencies to scan. What system are you trying to put in and are you using WIN96 or doing it by hand?

I enter the known talkgroups from one police dept (Carroll County, IN there are five). After I enter them I have hit scan and it says all locked. So I have tried entering another set of talk groups from another dept in different bank and tried scannning with same result. I am doing it by hand. Just purchased the scanner yesterday so dont have any other programs (WIN96)

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Problem

tel5499 said:
I enter the known talkgroups from one police dept (Carroll County, IN there are five). After I enter them I have hit scan and it says all locked. So I have tried entering another set of talk groups from another dept in different bank and tried scannning with same result. I am doing it by hand. Just purchased the scanner yesterday so dont have any other programs (WIN96)

Are you doing a trunked system? (I see both trunked and non-trunked choices you might make for your county)
Are you receiving one or more Control Channels clearly? (sounds like digital "grinding or racket)
Do you understand the difference between channels and talkgroups?
Do you know which one you are doing?
Have you checked to be sure that the talkgroup subgroups are ON?
How about that the bank is set to OPEN mode first? (you can close it once you get talkgroups under control)

Have you read thru the Indiana forum to look for some tips about your own systems?
(Yes, it's complicated. Sorry.)

tel5499

fmon said:
Welcome to the forum.

Click the Selected RR Wiki link under my signature for a 2096 programming shortcut.

I found that programming shortcut and it has been very helpful. I was using that to program but this was the result when entering talkgroups. I did have a couple of known frequencies that I entered and it worked fine. Now just having problems with the talkgroups "locked". I don't know the frequencies to do it that way.

tel5499

NW0U said:
Are you doing a trunked system? (I see both trunked and non-trunked choices you might make for your county)
Are you receiving one or more Control Channels clearly? (sounds like digital "grinding or racket)
Do you understand the difference between channels and talkgroups?
Do you know which one you are doing?
Have you checked to be sure that the talkgroup subgroups are ON?
How about that the bank is set to OPEN mode first? (you can close it once you get talkgroups under control)

Have you read thru the Indiana forum to look for some tips about your own systems?
(Yes, it's complicated. Sorry.)

Yes it is complicated. For the police in my area they all switched to digital/trunking. the all going to that project Hoosier Safety communication. There are some fire, ambulance, etc... that are still on regular analog that I have entered and they also work fine. Going by the manual, I think (not sure) I have tried to make sure that talkgroups were turned on or subgroups turned on. The manual has not been very helpful. To even hear anything came from getting info after this site. I know that one of the actual frequencies that I entered shows the talkgroup number on the display when they are talking. Don't understand why I can't program using talkgroup IDs for departments that I don't have actual control frequency for. I'll understand eventually, lot of info to digest. Thanks again to everyones input.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
More

tel5499 said:
Yes it is complicated. For the police in my area they all switched to digital/trunking. the all going to that project Hoosier Safety communication. There are some fire, ambulance, etc... that are still on regular analog that I have entered and they also work fine. Going by the manual, I think (not sure) I have tried to make sure that talkgroups were turned on or subgroups turned on. The manual has not been very helpful. To even hear anything came from getting info after this site. I know that one of the actual frequencies that I entered shows the talkgroup number on the display when they are talking. Don't understand why I can't program using talkgroup IDs for departments that I don't have actual control frequency for. I'll understand eventually, lot of info to digest. Thanks again to everyones input.

Ok, sounds like you aren't completely helpless. We didn't have much to work with.
If you're getting control channel freqs ok and can do conventional programs ok then it would be in the realm of TGs only.

I've never seen TGs all locked out so don't know for sure.

But TGs can be individually locked out (lock out key and shows a big L on display or not when stepping thru TGs) as well as locked out by sub-group (while in TGs use Funct-1 to lock/unlock groups).
Be sure to set the bank of channels to OPEN mode at first ( manual to a channel in that bank then funct-5) see if you have + sign under the bank number to prove it's OPEN.

Be sure that not only the channel is set to the correct mode but that the trunking is set as well. These are different actions. One per frequency and one within the talkgroups to set the bank type's trunking.

The manual is like unix manual commands. If you know what it says BEFORE you need it, the manual is excellent!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
First, program the frequencies per this part of shortcut. Note: you only need red and blue frequency for site 231 Montecello (Carrol county).

Storing known trunked frequencies
1. Press MANual, Press three digits to get the bank and channel number desired then Press
MANual again. (Upper left should read Mxxx for your bank and channel number)
2. Press PGM, (upper left should change from M to P)
3. Press TRUNK
4. Press MODE until MOT is Displayed
5. Press PGM
6. Enter the frequency
7. Press ENTer
8. Repeat steps 5 through 8 until all frequencies are entered in selected bank.
9. Press SCAN

Then shift to programming ID's as follows.
Storing known Talkgroup ID’s
1. Press PGM
2. Press TRUNK
3. Enter the 5 digit Mot ID
4. Press ENTer
5. Press Up button
6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 until all are entered.
7. Press SCAN

Observe that a - (minus) is present under the bank number for the bank you selected. If it is + (plus) press FUNC + 5 to close the bank for scanning only those ID's which you programmed.

I assume these are your ID group.
Code:
DEC 	HEX 	Mode  	Alpha Tag	Description	  
15664   3d3   	D   	08 DISP  	County Sheriff Dispatch  	 
15680   3d4   	D   	08 CAR  	County Sheriff Car-to-Car  	 
15696   3d5   	D   	08 DELPHI  	Delphi Police Dispatch  	
15712   3d6   	D   	08 OPS 1  	County Sheriff Operations 1  	 
15728   3d7   	D   	08 OPS 2  	County Sheriff Operations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.