PRO-2096 Speaker Issue, have to wobble HP jack/ Vol Knob to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whooey

My mom has a PRO-2096 I gave to her a few years ago, now the speaker wont work. You have to wobble the volume knob and/or the headphone jack (And hold your mouth just right) to make the speaker work.

Once you get it to where it works, it'll work fine until you bump it, or press a button, turn the volume knob, etc.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, I rather not send it to TX for repair.

Thanks!! :)

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
My 2096 started reporting that the PC/IF was enabled. At first it seemed like it was related to the volume control but ultimately it was just the little mechanical disturbance that gave the symptom.

The jack just above the headphone jack is the PC/IF hole and the jack wasn't re-closing the connection after removing the plug. I took the front panel off trying to find out if I could change the jack - couldn't. I did find a workaround for it though.

The headphone jack may be misbehaving in a similar way.
Try plugging in an external speaker to the jack on the back. It's a very simple possible solution.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
It's time to open it up and look for cracked solder joints. Be willing to bet that the pot is loose on the board. May or may not be a simple fix depending on how hard the access to the pins.

I had to do major surgery on my BC100XLT. Had to desolder the copper RF shield to get to the volume control pins which were all loose. Also all of the solder joints of the main board to the chassis were cracked through as was the antenna connector. I guess that they just don't make $20 flea market scanners like they used to. I only used it for 2 years and it was working perfectly when it went to it's new home last week.

Even a small amount of mishandling on a regular basis can break joints.

Good Luck,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.