Pro-2096 Squelch Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayidunk

The squelch stopped working on the conventional, non-trunking frequencies on my Pro-2096. The squelch opens and closes randomly when there's no signal, or will open on a signal but not close when the signal ceases. The squelch knob has no effect either way

I'm pretty sure I'll be sending it in for servicing at some point. However before I do so, I thought I'd run it by you guys first, to see if I might be missing something that may have caused me to mis-configure it in some way (though for the life of me I can't see how). Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

Last edited:

mayidunk

I've had it for several years, and have been using it in the same place since I got it. Nothing's changed since I got it. However, I've been using it to listen to the CT State Police digital system for the most part. I really haven't been using it to listen to conventional freqs until recently, when I discovered the balky squelch.

Edit:
Actually, I did set up a WiFi network in the house last year. Could that make a difference?

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have seen in my gre built scanners if I get them close to my WIFI laptop certain channels with no tone squelch will open and hear white noise. Have you closed the convential banks and added tone squelch help this problem or move the scanner away from the computer / router area.

mayidunk

No, but it does it when the computer is turned off. The WiFi router is in another room as well. As for tone squelch, I tried manually tuning an empty channel, that had nothing set up in it, and the squelch knob wouldn't open it, nor would it close it when it opened up by itself (no antenna, no signal, squelch knob in any position).

Sounds like it's headed for some service. I hope it won't be too expensive...

W2PMX

Sounds like a bad component. The squelch circuit is a high pass filter, amplifier and detector - lots of components - so there's no way to guess what's going intermittent on yours. It's easy to fix if you know what you're doing, but not possible to diagnose over the internet.

mayidunk

You're absolutely right, and I would never expect anyone to be able to troubleshoot it long distance like this. I just wanted to know if I might have overlooked anything in its configuration before I committed to sending it in.

So, I guess it's time to bite the bullet. Can anyone recommend a good repair facility in, or around the Hartford, CT area? Otherwise, I was considering letting RadioShack have a go at repairing it.

mayidunk

Not being a Ham myself I'm not too sure where the clubs may be, though with ARRL being in my back yard, I suppose I could contact them. I left a message with Lentini's, but they haven't gotten back to me. Anyway, I really don't have high hopes in them, as in the past they didn't seem to be interested in other repairs I asked them about.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I appreciate all of your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.