pro-2096 vs bcd996t

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone on this forum that has both radios and can tell me if the 996t surpasses the pro2096 in audio and sensitivty. To those who have both radios or have used them both side by side... If you could buy one of them and only one of them.. Which radio would you choose and why?

Thanks

Dave

Thayne

I should have a 996T when the UPS truck comes by this afternoon so I will try it with both radios simultaneously fed from the same stridsberg multicoupler on DTRS.

:lol:

RISC777

It's good to hear comparisons between radios that one doesn't have. Such as for myself I can only compare Uniden to Uniden. It's of interest to read what others experience/find different between Uniden and others.

Thayne

Well I got it--it looks like it has DTRS preprogammed but nothing else for Colo.
The program seems funky compared to Win96.

It will be a few days till I can do the comparison I mentioned. There is a lot to learn.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Thayne said:
Well I got it--it looks like it has DTRS preprogammed but nothing else for Colo.
The program seems funky compared to Win96.

It will be a few days till I can do the comparison I mentioned. There is a lot to learn.

Programming is very difficult compared to Win96 but extremely full featured otherwise and sounds like buctel will have there 996T software available by July, can't wait.

Jim<

luke-1

k0pwo said:
Is there anyone on this forum that has both radios and can tell me if the 996t surpasses the pro2096 in audio and sensitivty. To those who have both radios or have used them both side by side... If you could buy one of them and only one of them.. Which radio would you choose and why?

Thanks

Dave

I don't want to start a long cat fight thread that will probably get closed, so let me keep it simple and answer your questions

1. The sensitivity is pretty dead even
2. The audio is better on the 2096

There are more features on the 996 including the 700Mhz. capability which is somewhat important already here in Colorado. I see that you already have 2 Pro-96's. The 2096 is exactly the same as the 96. My opinion for you Dave is get the 996.

Luke

Thayne

Man, the learning curve is steep for me. I would rather program real MA/COM radios any day. It is impressive though;)

Now I am having trouble with the usb to serial to radio connection dropping off if I spend too much time scratching my head. Also noticed the wall wart is a switching power supply variety rather than the transformer type. That can really be a problem if it fails in a bad way. I will keep playing with it if I can keep the wife at bay. . .

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Thayne said:
Also noticed the wall wart is a switching power supply variety rather than the transformer type. That can really be a problem if it fails in a bad way.

How so? Although it is possible to design a buck regulator that converts AC mains to low voltage DC without isolation, it would not get UL approval for this type of consumer product. Since it is UL approved, there must be a high frequency isolation transformer inside. Power transistor failure would result in no output voltage rather than an overvoltage. Regulated linear power supplies are more prone to output overvoltage faults than an isolated switching supply.

Thayne

Only going by my knowledge from my former job where VERY seldom it was determined that this type of wall wart caused whatever it was powering to fail, but it did happen. (I would say about 10 times out of 100's of problems.) If the powered equipment was well designed, it usually had a crowbar or varistor-fuse combination that would save it anyway. I have even seen a few times where a transformer type got so hot that line voltage ended up on the output.
I run all my base radios from a 12v deep cycle battery kept charged by a Altronics 10 amp
power supply/charger that powered an access system in a data center that was remodeled.
When I get it close to being programmed like I want, it's going into the dash of my Toyota pickup, so maybe I will sacrifice the wall wart and see what's in it----

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Let me get this straight. They ship a crappy wall wart power supply with a very expensive scanner? :confused:

Being in quality assurance myself I am amazed at recent quality issues biting uniden. It's no fun watching a $500+ radio go up in smoke.

I beleive there have already been some posts in various sites about the 996T power supply failures.

Phil.

Thayne

Well Phil, it seems crappy to me, but we all know a penny not spent is a penny earned.
At least this scanner feels like it has something in it--it seems a lot heavier than a 2096. I got it working on the state system, and the 2096 does sound better, especially when the CSP dispatchers blow you out of the chair. I think it has an AGC option I havn't found yet tho.

RISC777

Thayne said:
. . . especially when the CSP dispatchers blow you out of the chair. I think it has an AGC option I havn't found yet tho.
Page 56 :)
Menu / Settings / Set Audio AGC
Right above where you can turn the display upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.