Pro-2096 vs. Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcopolo456

Head to head, why would I want to spend the extra money for a Pro-197. I live in Dakota County, MN and would like to listen to their P-25 ARMER system. I'm a newbie... I also would like to listen to some analog stuff, Union Pacific RR and Aircraft...Do I need the Pro-197 or can I get by with the 2096???

Thanks,
Mark

(Is there a head-to-head comparrison chart anywhere? Probably woundn't understand it if I saw one -haha)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the RR Database, it does indicate the ARMER system went through the re-banding process last year. So it's possible the PRO-2096 might not work, I'm not sure. So I would hold off buying one until you can confirm with someone in the area if it's still feasible.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Pro-197 has flashable chipset. This means that if the frequency steps, among other things, that are hard coded on the chipset can be updated. With all the rebanding going on, and now the cell phone carriers are screaming for more bandwidth, this feature might be very necessary.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I think the 2096 would be ok for you. You just have to insert the new tables. If you get a software program like Win-96, it makes things much simpler for you to program.
Agree, Win96 will allow the 6 table entry for ARMER reband and any Motorola or P25 trunking systems. Fact is, the 197 also requires the same 6 tables to be entered for ARMER but the scanner keyboard can be used for these entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.