pro 2096 vs pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

patch1394

Hi

I presently have a radio shack pro 96 and I am considering getting a pro 2096 for the house. Will the 2096 have better range/receptions and pull in more distance signals being a base unit then my pro 96 would?

I am trying to pick up freq that are just out of range for my pro 96. Ive been told that base unit's have better range and reception then portable units??? I don't have the ability to mount an external antenna so the 2096 would have a stock antenna. Any info would be appreciated.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No you won't see any noticeable difference between the two. Your best bet would be to find a way to improve your antenna situation.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
exactly as Forts sd , you won't see much of a difference i have both, and i get only 1 bar difference with the base in the postive, but after i hooked an external antenna outside reception was much much better

patch1394

Thanks for the info guys!......I have one other qucik question for you........... is it possible to attach an external antenna to my pro 96 or would i need a base scanner like the 2096 to do that?

My wife is not keen on me getting any kind of antenna that goes on the roof ..........I have heard of people getting externals and putting them in the attic or getting somthing that can go on the window etc??? That might be an option but I assumed that only works if you have a base scanner???

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It just so happens than I have a Pro-96 sitting beside me as I type this that is connected to an antenna up in my attic. So to answer your question, you most certainly can attach your Pro-96 to an external antenna. Base, mobile or handheld it doesn't really matter.

With my Pro-96 I could barely copy the local Fleetnet tower (London) with the rubber ducky in the house. I installed a VHF antenna up in the attic, ran some RG-6 down to my office and it made a world of difference. At any given time I can usually pull in at least 4 or 5 Fleetnet sites, and on many nights more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.