Pro-2096, Win96 And STARS Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to correctly program the Virginia STARS towers into a Pro-2096 for a friend of mine using Win 96. I am programming the frequencies particularly for Bear Den Mtn, Fork Mountain, High Top Mountain, Long Mountain, Big A Mountain, Peters Mountain and Waverly. Every time I enter 161.8625, Win 96 automatically defaults to 161.8650. I have heard of a extended table that needs to be changed for rows 00, 01 and 02 and I thought I had done the changes, but still the frequency and other towers too are changing after I've entered them. I'm thinking it's the step size that I have wrong. The bearcat 996xt that I have and PSR-500 do fine for scanning STARS, what gives?! Grrr.:confused:

W4UVV

Programing offset frequencies for older scanner models

I am trying to correctly program the Virginia STARS towers into a Pro-2096 for a friend of mine using Win 96. I am programming the frequencies particularly for Bear Den Mtn, Fork Mountain, High Top Mountain, Long Mountain, Big A Mountain, Peters Mountain and Waverly. Every time I enter 161.8625, Win 96 automatically defaults to 161.8650. I have heard of a extended table that needs to be changed for rows 00, 01 and 02 and I thought I had done the changes, but still the frequency and other towers too are changing after I've entered them. I'm thinking it's the step size that I have wrong. The bearcat 996xt that I have and PSR-500 do fine for scanning STARS, what gives?! Grrr.:confused:

161.8625 mhz. is a valid frequency used at the STARs at Whitetop Top Mtn., Bull Mtn., and Bear Den Mountain sites.

The VHF band (136-174 mhz.) currently has several "standard" step ranges. The ultimate FCC goal is 6.25 khz bandwidth spacing for all vhf/uhf licensees excluding certain licensee exceptions.

In order to correctly receive all possible vhf frequencies used at all STARS sites "6.25" khz. is the correct tuning step. Depending upon the frequencies used at a particular STARS site, other tuning steps used may be correct for some sites and for others may not be correct.

For STARS the correct trunk settings for a single table are:

Frequency = 136.0000
Offset= 380
Step= 6.25

I just entered "161.8625" in my old Butel ARC96-2096 software "Frequencies" section for a STARS site and it entered correctly. Previously in the past 2 months I successfully programed one Pro96 and one Pro2096 for STARS reception using the listed STARS trunk settings entries and the appropriate STARS sites' frequencies..

I am not familiar with Win96 software so I can't help you with specific user entries but you should be able to relate.

John
W4UVV

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Even doing what you suggested in arc96, the 161.8625 frequency is still accepted as is. It automatically goes to 161.8600.

Status
Not open for further replies.