PRO-22 Antenna Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1TSL

I've decided to resurrect a PRO-22 that I had sitting around. I know I had the antenna for it and it has since done the disappearing act.

I'm having trouble finding out what type of connector this is and whether or not there is an adapter for it. The antenna screwed directly into the scanner via a wide hole at the top. Sort of like a reverse SMA but about one and a half times larger.

Anyone got an idea what that is? If I can get an adapter, I've got plenty of BNC and SMA antennas around.

I've spent the last few days scouring the internet but info is extremely limited. Even the manual doesn't specify anything.

Here's a top shot:
RadioPics Database - RadioShack/Realistic - PRO-22

Thannks-

oracavon

I think I have one of those buried in the garage somewhere. At the time, I bought an adapter to go with it. The adapter screwed into the radio and accepted a standard Motorola antenna plug on the other end. Can't seem to find it now, though.

Depending on the threads, something like these might fit:

BNC Female Antenna Screw Adapter for Motorola GP68 2000 | eBay

or

MX BNC Antenna Connector Adaptor Adapter Motorola Icom Two Way Radios | eBay

You might also try calling Gerry at G&G. He carries a lot of stuff for older scanners and may have an idea where you can get an adapter.

http://www.gcomradio.com/index.html

K1TSL

Very helpful. For a few bucks, it's worth trying. I'd like to think that Radio Shack didn't make a connector that was unique to this scanner and no other piece of radio equipment anywhere...but stranger things have happened.
The threads on the links you sent me look like they might do the trick. The adapters might be a tad shallow but I am not convinced it would make a huge difference here.
I'll blast Gerry an email too and see what he might think on this.
Appreciate the info.

K1TSL

Nice! I'm looking at the adapter and I'm wondering what this adapts in to? It looks like it terminates into a cylinder. Probably a silly question.
I did end up ordering the motorola plug and it was too small but now I know.

oracavon

The screw-in adapter accepts a standard automotive Motorola plug. That's what the old scanners used before they started using BNC connectors. So you may need an additional adapter to go from that to BNC. Motorola-to-BNC adapters are easy to find. Even Radio Shack has them, although Radio Shack tends to be expensive.

BNC to Motorola Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 86

K1TSL

AH! Ok, thanks for this. Yep, seen this type of jack before so it makes sense now. Of course, finding the original antenna would be awesome but makeshifting some adapters to be able to use other antennas will be worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.