PRO-37 longshot, but here goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I recently came into the possession of a PRO-37 scanner. I had one back in the early 90's, and liked it so well that when I had the chance to get this one, I bought it. Here's the problem.....

When I have it operating on the AC adapter, it works fine. However, when I put batteries in it, it begins to get warm and smell like something is burning up. Has anyone ever experienced something along these lines, or have any idea what might be cause the problem?

If it turns out that I can't use it, I won't be heartbroken or crying over a large sum of wasted money (only cost me $5.00), but it would be nice if I could get some portable use out of it.

As always, many thanks in advance for any information provided.

SSSG

:)

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Are you putting in regular or rechargeable batteries? The Pro-37 has 2 separate jacks for plugging in the external power adapter. One is marked PWR and powers the scanner without trying to charge the batteries. The other one is marked CHG and both powers the scanner and charges the rechargeable batteries if you've installed them.

NEVER attempt to recharge regular batteries in the scanner.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Are you putting in regular or rechargeable batteries? The Pro-37 has 2 separate jacks for plugging in the external power adapter. One is marked PWR and powers the scanner without trying to charge the batteries. The other one is marked CHG and both powers the scanner and charges the rechargeable batteries if you've installed them.

NEVER attempt to recharge regular batteries in the scanner.

I don't even have the AC adapter attached to the scanner when I try running it with the batteries.

It gets warms and smells like something is burning only when the batteries are powering the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.