Pro-39 UHF frequencies error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisJB

Hello all

First off, I am completely new to scanners. I recently purchased a barely used Pro-39 on eBay. I am mainly interested in military aviation as I live close to Nellis AFB. Lately I have been venturing out to Rachel NV to watch their training. So I decided to pick up a scanner to help me plan and have a better understanding of what's going on. I hear the planes flying over my house, but no idea where they are going to train. As a photographer, Star Wars Canyon is on my bucket list.

So my issue. I found this list of frequencies on the internet for Nellis

The VHF channels, I have no problems plugging them in and listening.

FrequencyAlpha TagDescription
132.55000Tower VHFTower
120.90000Clearance VHFClearance
118.12500Approach VHFApproach
135.10000Departure VHFDeparture

However when I try to program in the UHF channels, I get an error message.

270.10000ATISATIS
327.00000Nellis TowerNellis Tower UHF
289.40000Clearance UHFClearance
291.72500Approach UHFApproach
385.40000Departure UHFDeparture

I didn't think much of it since the VHF channels worked fine. however when I tried to program the frequency for Star Wars Canyon, 315.9, got the error message. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong? if it's the capability limitations of the scanner? etc.

I did also buy a Uniden BC125AT but I am a Mac user and having fun figuring out how to program that, but that's a topic for another day and forum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher

ecps92

According to the Manual
your radio does not handle the UHF Air Bands
Hello all

First off, I am completely new to scanners. I recently purchased a barely used Pro-39 on eBay. I am mainly interested in military aviation as I live close to Nellis AFB. Lately I have been venturing out to Rachel NV to watch their training. So I decided to pick up a scanner to help me plan and have a better understanding of what's going on. I hear the planes flying over my house, but no idea where they are going to train. As a photographer, Star Wars Canyon is on my bucket list.

So my issue. I found this list of frequencies on the internet for Nellis

The VHF channels, I have no problems plugging them in and listening.

132.55000Tower VHFTower
120.90000Clearance VHFClearance
118.12500Approach VHFApproach
135.10000Departure VHFDeparture

However when I try to program in the UHF channels, I get an error message.

270.10000ATISATIS
327.00000Nellis TowerNellis Tower UHF
289.40000Clearance UHFClearance
291.72500Approach UHFApproach
385.40000Departure UHFDeparture

I didn't think much of it since the VHF channels worked fine. however when I tried to program the frequency for Star Wars Canyon, 315.9, got the error message. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong? if it's the capability limitations of the scanner? etc.

I did also buy a Uniden BC125AT but I am a Mac user and having fun figuring out how to program that, but that's a topic for another day and forum.

Christopher

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You need a newer model scanner. The military band is from 225 to 400. The BC125 is one of the most popular analog scanners and covers most of that range plus the VHF air and other commercial bands

ChrisJB

You need a newer model scanner. The military band is from 225 to 400. The BC125 is one of the most popular analog scanners and covers most of that range plus the VHF air and other commercial bands

Okay, so I should be all set. I'll just buy an old used laptop off Facebook marketplace or something, that seems to be the cheapest and easiest option to get something with windows on it. Thank you

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There are many good used laptops online. DO NOT buy anything with 32 or 64 gb of mmc storage, and remember that all versions of Windows no longer have updates and new security support except Windows 10. I just helped a client of mine find a 15 inch refurbished Dell Inspiron with a 60 day warranty and Windows 10 Pro from a well known online retailer for $249. However, I am not sure how that will replace your scanner. A new BC125 can be found on sale under $100, and you will not find much in the way of a laptop for that amount.

ecps92

He also mentioned his BC125AT, but since he is a MAC user, he was having issues.
Likely that is what he want the PC for...

Hello all

Christopher

The Pro-39 is not computer programmable. I own one of these, but have not used it in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.