Pro-404 waterlogged

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Okay, I have a Pro-404 $99 scanner from Radioshack (well, actually two now) that was (without my knowledge) knocked into the sink into water for maybe no more than a second and pulled back out, was set to dry for a day...then when I went to use it, the frequencies were all messed up...Okay, i get mad and yell at the person who did it, and he got me another one (It was my dad, lol).

New one fixed and in order with frequencies, I'm good to go. Tried the old one to see if I could get it to work. Everything works except every time I try ot turn the volume up, the speaker/headphone output has all static. I've tried letting it dry out, dunno what else I can do. Doubt i'll be able to get a warranty exchange (lost the receipt for it AFAIK). Anyone know what else I can do? I want to get a 9v adapter and use that to broadcast the local county fire, police, & ems as well as the local airport...Thanks

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
If the speaker is the only casualty at this point, you could buy a replacement speaker and install it yourself or pay to have the radio shack folks send it out for repair for you. Replacing the speaker should be relatively inexpensive. Another option would be to use that radio with an external speaker or earphone.

Good luck.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect you have some water or dirt that has gotten into the volume control. Assuming that nothing else got fried when you turned on the scanner, you might be able to clean it out with some contact cleaner and a small hair dryer. I would also consider turning the scanner on its side (right or left, it doesn't matter) and blow-drying the entire unit, inside and out. Examine it closely for burned out wiring or damage to the circuit board. You may, in fact, have to contact clean other controls such as the squelch as well. I would also put it under a rather bright lamp to further dry out any spots you may have missed.

Don't turn this radio back on again until you are absolutely sure everything has dried out, otherwise there's a possibility of smoke city. 73 and good luck Mike

GumbyCT

After it is completely dry - try plugging in either a headset or an external speaker to see IF your audio is any better.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I let my scanner sit on its side and dry out. Took it apart and blow-dried it. It works perfect, everything works, it even receives frequencies, except when it's not recieving, the static is there. I'll open it back up again and try blow-drying it yet again...

Status
Not open for further replies.