Pro-43 keypad replacement procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

Hello All,

The "scan" button on the keypad no longer works so I want to replace the keypad. I am not a rocket scientist, so I am asking for some assistance from those of you who have done the procedure before. The previous post [from 2004] offers no help as to accomplish this.

How do you get the front faceplate off? Is there a trick to getting it apart from the main case?

What comes next, if you please? Is it just a matter of removing the faceplate, placing the new pad in and snapping the faceplate back on? Nothing more? Before or after?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alain

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Pretty much just take the screws out the back and work your way into the radio. I think I may have had to un-solder the antenna from the board but it was many years ago so I cant be sure about that. I do remember that it was a quick and easy replacement.

Bentley

have you tried to clean the contacts? I had an old RS scanner with the same problem, except it was the manual key.

As far as taking it apart, it was very simple. Inside the battery case there were screws, unscrew them, and use a coin (a screwdriver will put gashes in the plastic housing case) to gently "pry" open the case. Once opened, pull the keypad off and try using a cotton swab (q-tip) to clean the contacts, the spot where the keypad actually presses on the board. I can remember using a gentile solvent, one made especially for electronic components (available at radio shack) There was a sort of film that over the years accumilated and would not allow any contact when the button was pushed. Once cleaned the MAN button worked, no problems since.

Good Luck

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue with the same model. BUT, in my case I let someone borrow it and they spilt a soda on it which ate the film off. they also broke the battery cover.if I remember, the film is on the actual keypad on the back. they should be a black color. I had to order parts from RS to fix it. if you need the part number, let me know and I will try to dig up the service manual for it.

LarrySC

Let me ask a question. Do you already have a replacement keypad??????? The reason I ask is I thought they ran out of those about 5 years ago. Cleaning is second idea. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.