• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Pro-43 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

I have a pro-43 that I bought off ebay. It has been working great using batteries, so today I decided to play with the charger that came with it radio shack No. 20-188 9v dc 300mA. The scanner worked fine with the charger plugged into the power port on the scanner. I had the charger unplugged and plugged it into the charge port on the scanner and then plugged it into the wall outlet. When I unplugged it from the scanner the scanner does not work just on batteries, I have to plugged the charger into the scanner power port for it to work. Any ideas as to what happened or what I can do to make it work again on batteries. If I haven't got you confused.--Gary

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It sounds like the charger jack in the PRO-43 may have a pin (or prong) stuck in the open position causing the power jack circuit to be open. Try inserting and removing it a few times. As old as the PRO-43's are now it could be a tarnished connector pin making a high resistance fault.

jeffrey420

Alternative

They sell a pack at Sams Club with 4 - 2500 mAh AA 's with charger for $20. Plus they have the 8 pack AA w/o charger for I think $15. They are NiMH and not Ni-Cd. So I think you would have to use a seperate charger made for NiMH. I'm not sure if you could use the PRO-43 charger circuit to charge the NiMH batteries. Might just be for Ni-Cd batteries.

The NiMH batteries would last longer than the Ni-Cds would.

I have a PRO-43 manual somewhere. Don't remember if it had a schematic or not. I will see if I can find it.
I make no promises since I moved since the last time I saw it.

Last edited:

zonian149

Fixed It

Thanks to some contact cleaner and a paper clip it finally broke free and is now working fine. Now I have a nice milair scanner for under $50. Now to get a new antenna. Thanks for the responses.--Gary

FrankJ

I have a PRO-43 that works well. I find the best antenna for Milair is the Diamond RH77CA. Does a great job in thew 225-400 Mhz and 138-144 Mhz Milair ranges. Not real expensive at around $30 but well worth it!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.