Pro-43 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

I have a pro-43 that I bought off ebay. It has been working great using batteries, so today I decided to play with the charger that came with it radio shack No. 20-188 9v dc 300mA. The scanner worked fine with the charger plugged into the power port on the scanner. I had the charger unplugged and plugged it into the charge port on the scanner and then plugged it into the wall outlet. When I unplugged it from the scanner the scanner does not work just on batteries, I have to plugged the charger into the scanner power port for it to work. Any ideas as to what happened or what I can do to make it work again on batteries. If I haven't got you confused.--Gary

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It sounds like the charger jack in the PRO-43 may have a pin (or prong) stuck in the open position causing the power jack circuit to be open. Try inserting and removing it a few times. As old as the PRO-43's are now it could be a tarnished connector pin making a high resistance fault.

jeffrey420

Alternative

They sell a pack at Sams Club with 4 - 2500 mAh AA 's with charger for $20. Plus they have the 8 pack AA w/o charger for I think $15. They are NiMH and not Ni-Cd. So I think you would have to use a seperate charger made for NiMH. I'm not sure if you could use the PRO-43 charger circuit to charge the NiMH batteries. Might just be for Ni-Cd batteries.

The NiMH batteries would last longer than the Ni-Cds would.

I have a PRO-43 manual somewhere. Don't remember if it had a schematic or not. I will see if I can find it.
I make no promises since I moved since the last time I saw it.

Last edited:

zonian149

Fixed It

Thanks to some contact cleaner and a paper clip it finally broke free and is now working fine. Now I have a nice milair scanner for under $50. Now to get a new antenna. Thanks for the responses.--Gary

FrankJ

I have a PRO-43 that works well. I find the best antenna for Milair is the Diamond RH77CA. Does a great job in thew 225-400 Mhz and 138-144 Mhz Milair ranges. Not real expensive at around $30 but well worth it!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.