Pro-43 Suddenly went deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
All, I turned on my Pro-43 the other day and found that it was deaf as a post. No local airport atis, no weather channel broadcast, nada. Is there a general reset that can be accomplished with this scanner or does its sound like a component failure?
Anyone know who might repair these old scanners?

wmbio

The most common failure on this radio is the wire at the antenna connector breaks. The nut that holds the BNC antenna connector works loose also. Check both.
73"s
Bob
N3KZB

lf479

Premium Subscriber
If you want to try a FULL reset (you will lose all programming!!!! ) Do the following:

Turn radio OFF
Press "CLEAR" and "0" at the same time, while holding, turn ON radio.

This fixed mine last year when it refused to scan or allow me to program it.

Not sure if you are having same problems...

combatcomm

Pro-43

I recently had the same problem with my PRO-43. Sent it to their "National Repair Depot", Ft. Worth. They replaced the audio amp, speaker, and the key pad. Works like a new radio! The key pad had been failing for some time, so it is really great to have it functional again.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the replies. The radio most definitely hears static when I turn the squelch off. I'll pull the cover off and check the BNC connector to make sure the antenna is connected. Assuming that the connector is still good, it may be an audio amp failure. Thank you all for your advice.
Joe

BMT

Please post contact info for National Repair Depot.

BMT

BBQBob

Pro 43

I would say it's the speaker. Thats what happened to mine...dead air. Got it fixed and worked like a charm. Sure miss mine....a friend (?) barrowed it and had it stolen. Seen him once after that and he said he'd get me a new one. That never happened

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't the speaker. I took the '43 back cover of to ensure that the BNC was ok. No issues with the BNC. so for laughs I hooked up the external power supply (the battery pack was out of the radio) and back came the signals. I put the cover back on and tried it and it was deaf again. So, I backed off the screws on the back cover and it came on... Hmmm something is shorting when I put the cover back on. I noticed a small piece of rubber insulation on one of the metal covers on the circuitboard. Could it be there to prevent some sort of contact? easy enough to find out..

I found a piece of stick-on window insulation in the garage. I cut off a small piece and put it on the metal cover and screwed the back cover back on and all is well. sometimes it's the simplest things that go wrong.

By the way, that Pro-43 is the best damn hand-held Civil Air and MILAIR scanner there is. I have compared the old girl against my Yupiteru-7100 as well as my BC-396T and the '43 comes out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.