PRO-433 Frequency Unblocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul527

I just purchased a Pro-433 from my friend for $125. It's brand new and he's barely even used it. It still has the box and everything.

As I was using the scanner, I noticed that I could not reach the FM radio frequencies, the scanner would not let me go between 54mhz and 108mhz. After using it some more I realized there was many frequencies I couldn't reach. Looking in the back of the manual showed me that there is only set ranges my scanner can go to.

My question; Is there a way to "unblock" these missing frequencies?

I would really like to hear CB radio along with the police and ems that I already hear.

Last edited:

CStarr59

Paul I can't answer your question about unblocking certain frequencies. I would like to know how you like the pro-433? I am interested in buying one, and need some user opinions.

jerk

paul527 said:
I just purchased a Pro-433 from my friend for $125. It's brand new and he's barely even used it. It still has the box and everything.

As I was using the scanner, I noticed that I could not reach the FM radio frequencies, the scanner would not let me go between 54mhz and 108mhz. After using it some more I realized there was many frequencies I couldn't reach. Looking in the back of the manual showed me that there is only set ranges my scanner can go to.

My question; Is there a way to "unblock" these missing frequencies?

I would really like to hear CB radio along with the police and ems that I already hear.
It's blocked because that's the limitation of the radio... however, you should be able to program CB frequencies, they are between 26.000 and 27.000, which I think that scanner does, try programming 27.185 that is CH 19.

Bucko

The 433 will not cover the 11 meter band nor can you select your mode like FM to AM, it does it according to the band you are in. You are limited to the coverage it was intended for.

rankin39

If GRE sells this radio in Europe or Australia/NZ there is likely a way to restore 66-88 MHz., called "mid-band" in areas that use it. This may involve adding a jumper or removing one from the circuit board someplace. All you'll receive in North America in this band is TV stations and industrial pagers. In a very few places there may still be a few point-to-point relays around 75-76 MHz. Basically, it's not worth pursuing. CB uses different modulation. If you want additional freq. coverage, your best move would be to return the radio and buy a more expensive one that covers what you want.

Bob, w0nxn

n2mdk

rankin39 said:
If GRE sells this radio in Europe or Australia/NZ there is likely a way to restore 66-88 MHz., called "mid-band" in areas that use it. This may involve adding a jumper or removing one from the circuit board someplace. All you'll receive in North America in this band is TV stations and industrial pagers. In a very few places there may still be a few point-to-point relays around 75-76 MHz. Basically, it's not worth pursuing. CB uses different modulation. If you want additional freq. coverage, your best move would be to return the radio and buy a more expensive one that covers what you want.

Bob, w0nxn

The Pro-433 isn't a GRE it's a Uniden made for Radio Shack scanner.

n0lqt

Why would you even want to?

88-108 is wideband FM(150+ khz as compared with 12.5 or 25 khz for narrowband that the scanner is designed for) and is probably not receivable by the scanner with any sensitivity whatsoever.

It already picks up analog TV audio for channels 7-13 (if you call +2.0 μV sensitivity as "receving"). 54-72 is Analog TV channels 2-4 for about another 11 months, same with 76-88 (ch 5,6).

72-76 is Radio Astronomy and some pagers and radio control. It is not legal in the US to listen to pager transmissions anway. I suppose the radio control bands might be interesting if it is winter-time and you can't go out into the front yard to watch the grass grow....

AM sensitivity on that radio is also pretty poor, so AM under 29 mhz would be in the same boat as TV audio.

I got it, you've got one of the old BUD's (Big Ugly Dishes) out in the backyard and you want to listen to Jupiter crack and whistle all evening.....

paul527

n0lqt said:
Why would you even want to?

If you even bothered to read my original post you would understand that I would like to receive the Citizen's Band frequencies in which my scanner cannot access. The lowest my scanner can reach is 29 mhz. Also, watching grass grow and whistling all evening is not my idea of entertainment, but thanks for sharing your hobbies anyways.

Also, I would like a broader range of 800mhz frequencies because of the new Rebanding going on.

Thank you rankin39, newsalan, Bucko, and others for the help

Last edited:

n2mdk

A broader range of 800MHz makes no sense, the radio has the complete range of 800MHz frequencies used that includes rebanding. A firmware update should take care of any changes in the channel numbering and spacing for Motorola systems.

paul527

thanks n2mdk :) I was worried that with the rebranding I would miss out on the action. I was worried about the spacing mentioned in the rebanding article, but hopefully I won't need to upgrade any firmware as I don't have the cables needed yet.

Also hoser I was thinking that would be a good idea too

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Why not ask us to tell you how to 'unblock' the CB band on your TV, while you're at it?

Hint: It's not 'blocked', it's NOT THERE. No front end, no programming in the cpu.

The only thing that's usually 'blocked' is cellphone ranges in the USA.

The 'fix' is to take your current scanner, sell it, and buy one that DOES do what you want.

Oh, that's more expensive? Well, that's why it's more expensive, it has more RF hardware, and more complex hardware, built in to let it cover more frequency ranges, more modes, etc.

n2mdk

paul527 said:
thanks n2mdk :) I was worried that with the rebranding I would miss out on the action. I was worried about the spacing mentioned in the rebanding article, but hopefully I won't need to upgrade any firmware as I don't have the cables needed yet.

Also hoser I was thinking that would be a good idea too

So far there are only 2 known systems that seem to have been "rebanded" right now there aren't even firmware updates available for any radios. As of right now it looks like there are only 4 GRE made radios that can track those systems since they can have custom tables set for the systems.

paul527

SkipSanders that's what I was wondering, is it capable or not. Apparently not. Thanks for the reply. (And yeah, I might buy a new scanner if this one doesn't meet my needs, but so far it is)

This forums was really helpful, but it also sounds like you guys have been asked this too many times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.