Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
They need to add another "Type" of scanner to the website and file this one under it:
Crappy
this one will be on clearance very soon....

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
KC9GLG said:
This radio can be cloned with a Pro-528 handheld.

Great...clone a crappy base/mobile to a crappy handheld...
Not a shot at you KC9GLG just tired of non-radio shack coming out with
subpar radios :cool:

DickH

peterjmag said:
Yawn! Can we say 898T rip off! Come on GRE where are you?

Why do you think it's like an 898? It is nearly 3" less wide and 3/4" less high. It will be perfect for the Portland/Vancouver, WA area where there are 4 Motorola Type II systems.
I, too, prefer GRE, but this will be OK until they come out with a new one. And the price is good, too.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I sure hope you have a better memory that me cause this radio does NOT have alpha tags so trying to remember IDs on 4 different systems would be a challenge :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

DickH said:
Why do you think it's like an 898? It is nearly 3" less wide and 3/4" less high. It will be perfect for the Portland/Vancouver, WA area where there are 4 Motorola Type II systems.
I, too, prefer GRE, but this will be OK until they come out with a new one. And the price is good, too.

Eng74

Isn't the 2055 going to be on sale soon for the same price as the 433? It seems to me to be a better radio. I would not get a trunker without tags ever again.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Even though the scanner is not very advanced for us serious guys who hang around here, I think it is good RS still puts out new scanners. Sure, it is a boring Uniden model, but they are still producing new models, so they are showing they care about their scanner fan base a little. Plus, someone new into the hobby, or for someone who wants a back up, this makes a nice radio. If it is the same price as a 2055, the choice is obvious. If a PRO 433 goes on sale for $129 or $99 I will be one of the first to purchase one or two. Especially since it has 20 banks of 50 channels, 1 priority channel in EACH bank, and can do all the major analog trunked systems. Uniden scanners are great, but the newer ones might be too advanced for a new user. Or, someone might want to put a cheaper one in the car, or a spare room. I enjoy the RS scanner line, and own every newer model since the PRO 93. I think Radio Shack gets bashed so much around here unfairly just because their service isn't as good as it was in 1960.

Last edited:

vs1988

According to the Features tab it is "upgradeable to comply with proposed rebanding of 800 MHz band".

Would this be the first RS scanner that can be upgraded via download?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
LarrySC said:
No One Mentioned It Not Having Alpha Text. Real Scanners Have Alpha Text.

Larry-
Might want to try reading all of the posts in the thread next time :cool:
Posted earlier in this thread:

KE4ZNR said:
I sure hope you have a better memory that me cause this radio does NOT have alpha tags so trying to remember IDs on 4 different systems would be a challenge :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

DickH said:

DLGaze

Dispatcher Gaze

I know it's off topic, but can you tell me how you know my dad?

Don Gaze, Dispatcher GCSO, deceased Feb '07.

I'm son David, Hilton Head,...hhgoose@hargray.com.......

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There list of facts on this radio is vague, does it have PL/DPL, thats a must.....

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
RoninJoliet said:
There list of facts on this radio is vague, does it have PL/DPL, thats a must.....

NO CTCSS/PL/DCS/DPL or Alpha-Tags...like I said earlier in this thread these rigs are not worth the investment....

amusement

KE4ZNR said:
NO CTCSS/PL/DCS/DPL or Alpha-Tags...like I said earlier in this thread these rigs are not worth the investment....

Agree! BC898T is a better value.

timmer

I think I'm going to get one. I have a bc 780 and have never used the alpha tags. I know what freq. is what without them. I also know the trunk id's without having to program alpha tags. The fact that it is upgradeable after re-banding will make it worth having. They will sell quite a few, I'll bet. If it goes on sale, I'll be there to get one the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.