Pro 433 vs BC125At

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Requesting opinions about the old pro433 versus the 125. The pro 433 I recently dug out of the closet, it still works quite well. For aviation would the BC125AT give me a major boost? They would be on a dipole mounted about 30 feet up. I guess I'm asking is it worth the investment. (Marine is also a side interest.) The 433 is a dedicated aviation/marine scanner, I've been trying to trim down scanned frequencies to those more local, not the nationwide ones in the database. Opinions?

flatfoot2421

I look at this from the standpoint that if it is working well, why replace it? The BC125AT would give you the option of taking it out of the house, but that's the only real improvement it see.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
That's pretty much what I've decided. It's just that nagging suspicion that maybe I'm missing things without even knowing! One deep breath and one cold beer and I'll be over it.

MDScanFan

Are you able to adequately receive the signals you want to hear with your current scanner?

Last year I spent some time improving my airband setup. In particular I was trying to improve weak signal reception. Within reason I did the best I could with the antenna, preamp, filter, attenuator, and coax. I was initially using a couple of my trusty RS scanners. At the advice of this forum I purchased a 780XLT. Weak signal reception was improved on the 780XLT and I liked the audio a bit better so I used that for a while. From there I purchased a 125AT. I found it to have noticeably better weak signal AM audio recovery of the other scanners I tested. It can detect and recover some weak signals that the others could not. For strong signals they all seemed about the same. The 125AT is now my dedicated airband radio on my desk. At $90 it was one of my best radio purchases. For the price it may be worth giving one a try for the fun of it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The BC125AT supports alphanumeric text tags, and is an excellent airband scanner. The PRO433 does not support text tags. I don't recall the PRO433 being a great performer either. Given a choice I'd go with the BC125AT.

900mhz

the 125 has a hotter receiver...plus alpha tagging...plus can be used portable...

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I love my 433 but it doesn't have alpha tagging as others said. IMO that's it's biggest drawback. Seems to receive just fine and has a nice loud speaker. My honest opinion is I'd probably go with 125 for the alpha tagging and you can easily take it portable.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Excuse me while I climb back up on the fence (sigh.) Guess I'll start checking 125 pricing again!

Before the Covid mess started they were regularly selling new for about $120 but that price went up as supply supposedly dwindled. Seen several used ones selling for less than $100 on various platforms (Offerup app and other places). Usually purchased thinking that they'd be able to hear their local Fire Dept, Police, etc. not doing their homework and finding out that they needed a more sophisticated scanner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@samcken - Get the 125AT and split the frequencies between the two scanners. Doing that will absolutely help you catch what you are missing. Alternatively, you could use one scanner for marine and the other for air band, that would still diversify things and improve your chances. The more scanners you have that hold separate frequencies, the more you improve your chances of hearing what you are missing.

I use the 125AT and it worked well enough I purchased more. I have no experience with the Pro433 though to advise on a comparison though. Have fun!

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who replied. If you don't mind, 2 more questions:
1. Does Uniden have programming software?
2. Does the USB power cord charge the batteries in the unit?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

1. Yes.

There are also a couple other options:

ARC125

Scan125

2. That's controlled by a physical switch in the battery compartment. It *can* charge them, but I would strongly recommend that you use an external charger instead.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber

There is free software available from Uniden for the 125AT, however its not very good and I prefer using ARC125.

The USB will charge the batteries in the scanner as well as allow you to program the scanner using software and your PC. I have charged the 2 AA batteries in the unit and not had any problems, however some do recommend using a independent charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.