PRO-51

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1KWW

There are two power options, one disconnects battery power other powers scanner and recharges internal capacitor for memory. The two locations are on the left side, can someone tell me which is which. Want to operate scanner and recharge capacitor.
Thanks in advance,
Fred, N1KWW

N1KWW

Apologize!

The power connections are posted on the back indicating which is which.
Blaming it on "senioritis!" or a brain fart!

slicerwizard

There are two power options, one disconnects battery power other powers scanner and recharges internal capacitor for memory. Want to operate scanner and recharge capacitor.
Scanners from that era don't use volatile memory, so there is no capacitor to recharge. The charging jack is for recharging NiCad batteries only. If you're using alkaline cells, you'll ruin them as well as the radio.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The charging jack works as Slicerwizard said. However the PRO-51 is one of the last radios to use a capacitor for memory back-up. The manual says it will hold memory for up to 3 days during power loss. The capacitor is: C203 10555225 CAP .047F +80-20% 5.5V DOUBLE LAYER For more info see RadioShack.com

slicerwizard

Oh well, I tried, but the RS support site was light on details and I couldn't find any references to volatile memory or backup caps. I guess it's safe to say that power applied to either jack will keep the cap topped up, so just use the power jack (probably the upper jack) unless you're recharging NiCad or NiMH cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.