Pro-528 annoying beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Radio Shack Pro-528 Handheld Trunking scanner a while ago. For the first couple of months, I listened to the default programs since I am new to this and was scared to try to program it. After a while of hearing nothing much I decided to give it a try. I got the ScanCatLite and Mister Scanner software and was actuallya ble to get it to program my pro-528 (amazing)! The scanner does indeed scan through all the freqs i programmed it with and now I have lots to listen to! But since I programmed it there is a constant high pitched beep, beep, beep, beep... unless there is audio present and it stops. I thought the batteries may be low, but a new set grounded that theory, plus the low battery indicator was not lit up. Does anyone have any idea why this thing keeps beeping? It is driving me crazy!

HELP!

Yes, when it is scanning it goes beep, beep ,beep..... when there is someone talking it stops. But as soon as they finish (you can still hear the squelch) it starts beeping again, like a couple of seconds befoe it starts scanning again...

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you are scanning a EDACS system with the Trunking turned off.

I agree this is likely.

And- programming with Scancat may lead to unexpected results.

Manually check the programming from the front panel of the scanner.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you thought the program was going to set it for EDACS but when loaded to the scanner the scanner was still set for MOT.

I worked with Scancat in my radios for awhile and helped report bugs and tested fixes for a few but ultimately got tired of the runaround.

I've been very happy with Don Starr's programs (starrsoft) for my '97, '96 and now '106.
Scancat trying to do all scanners just doesn't work.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Sounds like you are scanning a EDACS system with the Trunking turned off.
Yup, Raytown and KCMO are both EDACS

To the Op, insure you have the system frequencies set to EDACS and the bank also set to EDACS Standard

brandon

Database Admin
Do the beeps sound like this? These beeps are preventing 100% EDACS tracking on Uniden, RS or GRE, since it hangs the scanner. The original beeps sounded softer and higher pitched, but the scanner knew when it was time to change channels. I wonder if you have the same problem? If not, and you have the regular beeps, I would check that your in trunking mode and not trying to scan as conventional.

Last edited:
Beeps

Mine are the softer, higher pitched beeps. I will look into the EDACS programming for this Radio Shack Pro-528. Does anybody have any good refernce for this?

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
The beep, beep, beep, beep is called "Unkeyed Mic" . If you listen to an EDACS system on a conventional scanner (or an incorrectly programmed trunking scanner), when the guy talking takes his finger off the button, the radio sends 4 beeps before disconnecting from that channel. This holds the scanner on that channel so you miss the reply. This is purely a "anti-scanner" or Privacy feature in EDACS systems.
You can subtract 45.0 from the trunked frequency and hear straight out of the radios (NO BEEPS), before they get digested by the EDACS system. You do give up distance and may not follow the conversation to well in a busy area when listening this way.

JoeyC

But, even if the radio is programmed correctly, you may still hear beeps if the signal is very weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.