Pro-528 trunk programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroCopKick

Just got myself a trunking scanner (The pro-528 upgrading from the Pro-83) ,so I am kinda new to this. Am trying to manually program and tryed to do my homework..... ( I would like to do it manually- without a pc program- , even though I know its trouble.)

Where I am at.
I am trying to listen to police and emergency services in my area (LaPorte) and the surrounding communities (which are close in proximity) through the Motorola Type II 800 system. specifically from the Baytown 007 site and the Pasadena 023 site.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=38

1. I have programmed bank 8 for trunking. I input both the primary(red) and secondary(blue) frequencies for both sites, because from my understanding that is all I need. (Under moto 800 btw)
2. I also programmed talkgroup ID's for only my local city (LaPorte) in the bank, which use both site periodically for fire/police.

Problem.
When I start my scan it seems to work fine for the two secondary frequencies picking up receptions and even coordinating comm between the lower frequency non moto II emergency frequencies I have in another bank. When the scan hits the two primary frequencies all I seem to get is static/data, which from my understanding is what frequency should be transmitting anyways.
My question is should it be sticking on this channel and transmitting static/data? Shouldnt it just be looking for my talkgroups and nothing else? I lockout the two primaries and it seems to work fine :) lol but I feel that I am missing something, which btw takes me to my next question.
When I scan and turn on the trunking I never see any info on talkgroups period. I know there is no alpha-tag but I would assume I would still get a number. I try holding the trunk button and switching from srch to scan but it doesnt seem to change the display or have any effect. I am receiving from the secondary frequencies but I never get any onscreen info about the talkgroup making the transmission.

I think I am sounding complicating, so sorry if I am. Any help would be appreciated.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I've moved your post to the RadioShack forum. Please take notice of posts "Stickied" to the top of forums instructing you what to post where. Thank you.

N8IAA

Just got myself a trunking scanner (The pro-528 upgrading from the Pro-83) ,so I am kinda new to this. Am trying to manually program and tryed to do my homework..... ( I would like to do it manually- without a pc program- , even though I know its trouble.)

Where I am at.
I am trying to listen to police and emergency services in my area (LaPorte) and the surrounding communities (which are close in proximity) through the Motorola Type II 800 system. specifically from the Baytown 007 site and the Pasadena 023 site.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=38

1. I have programmed bank 8 for trunking. I input both the primary(red) and secondary(blue) frequencies for both sites, because from my understanding that is all I need. (Under moto 800 btw)
2. I also programmed talkgroup ID's for only my local city (LaPorte) in the bank, which use both site periodically for fire/police.

Problem.
When I start my scan it seems to work fine for the two secondary frequencies picking up receptions and even coordinating comm between the lower frequency non moto II emergency frequencies I have in another bank. When the scan hits the two primary frequencies all I seem to get is static/data, which from my understanding is what frequency should be transmitting anyways.
My question is should it be sticking on this channel and transmitting static/data? Shouldnt it just be looking for my talkgroups and nothing else? I lockout the two primaries and it seems to work fine :) lol but I feel that I am missing something, which btw takes me to my next question.
When I scan and turn on the trunking I never see any info on talkgroups period. I know there is no alpha-tag but I would assume I would still get a number. I try holding the trunk button and switching from srch to scan but it doesnt seem to change the display or have any effect. I am receiving from the secondary frequencies but I never get any onscreen info about the talkgroup making the transmission.

I think I am sounding complicating, so sorry if I am. Any help would be appreciated.

When programming a multisite system, you need to put each tower cell in separate banks. You can use the TGID's in both banks to facilitate hearing what's going on. Make sure that the bank is in MOT mode and the frequencies are in that mode also. I am not familiar with the 528, so am not sure how it is programmed. Since it is a Uniden, you may have to go to the menu and program it in CC mode too.
HTH,
Larry

DickH

It's better to use a separate bank for each site you want to monitor.
The programming for Control Channel only trunking for the PRO-528 is different than most other scanners.
For step by step programming and a simple explanation about how trunking works, you should join this PRO-433/PRO-528 group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PRO-433_scanners

CroCopKick

I believe I resolved my issue, seems it was the common user error issue :)

When programming a bank for trunking in 800 there is a fourth option after input f, input id, and searchID list. It is just an option that says on-off (Not explained in instructions), and it is for the searchID list funtion ;) seems it was set to off. That completely fixed my talkgroup problem and I am now picking up the talk groups I input and getting the talkgroup numbers on the display (already wish I had alpha display hehe).

Now I would just like some input on the Primary and Secondary frequencies (Labeled red and blue on the site.) I have read in the forums it is only nessecary to input those frequencies and ignore the others. I have input them all in my trunking bank, is that bad, or helpful. It doesnt seem to have a negative effect I can tell. If they are not needed in trunking bank what exactly are they for?

N8IAA also mentioned the term CC. It is an option in my 800 trunk programming. It is set to off by default. The other options are PL1 - 4, should I have my scanner set to one, or just keep it off which seems to be working fine.

DickH

... N8IAA also mentioned the term CC. It is an option in my 800 trunk programming. It is set to off by default. The other options are PL1 - 4, should I have my scanner set to one, or just keep it off which seems to be working fine.

There are 8 functions in the Trunking Programming menu. One is for CC (Control Channel only) trunking. Also the PL1-4 are Band Plans. You must use the right one depending on the exact freqs. in each site. You may need a different PL for different sites.
That's all explained on the PRO-433/PRO-528 group I recommended you join.

N8IAA

Now I would just like some input on the Primary and Secondary frequencies (Labeled red and blue on the site.) I have read in the forums it is only nessecary to input those frequencies and ignore the others. I have input them all in my trunking bank, is that bad, or helpful. It doesnt seem to have a negative effect I can tell. If they are not needed in trunking bank what exactly are they for?

Control Channel as mentioned in my earlier post:)
Red is the primary CC, Blue is the secondary CC's. Input all red and blue CC's. Set the radio to CC for that bank and you do not need to put any other frequencies in. They are needed in the trunking bank for the system to be monitored. If you have entered all frequencies without making the bank for CC only, not a problem.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.