PRO 651 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

81greer

Premium Subscriber
Would anyone know why I can't here anything on my pro 651 scanner? It was programmed about 2 years ago and it did great for a while but now it just scans and hardly ever do I here any radio traffic.
Please advise.
81greer

tvengr

Well Known Member
We have to know your city, county, and state and which agencies you want to monitor. What programming software ae you using?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
We have to know your city, county, and state and which agencies you want to monitor. What programming software ae you using?
That, and if it was programmed approximately 2 years ago, things have likely changed.

u2brent

OAMPT

ecps92

Can you get the WX ??
Would anyone know why I can't here anything on my pro 651 scanner? It was programmed about 2 years ago and it did great for a while but now it just scans and hardly ever do I here any radio traffic.
Please advise.
81greer

ecps92

Then you have an issue.
Likely the radio itself, your coax, antenna or connections.

Check your antenna system out.
However, I have seen these radios just go DEAF [I have one, that is deaf above 512 Mhz]
but still amazing in VHF and UHF/UHF-T
no. weather will not come thru.

Angelica231

Premium Subscriber
Hi 81greer!
I have the Whistler 1040 hand held scanner. They are somewhat similar. What I found with my 1040, when I would turn on the radio my finger would move the squelch knob. Enough on/off cycles and for all practical purposes I muted the radio. Be sure the squelch knob is turned to it's full open position. If you are listening to trunked digital systems squelch isn't needed.

Secondly, what kind of antenna? Are you using that funky (next to useless) antenna that came with the radio? Could it be that you are just plain to far from the transmitting site(s) for that kind of antenna?

The weather (SAME) has to be programed into your radio.

I have three Whistler desktops and the hand held that I told you about. I didn't know beans about programing theses radio's. I have the original manual for the GRE, or I should say book. Whistler made an effort to bring their scanning concepts to the user level and kind of missed the mark in my opinion. I learned through the manual, several telephone calls to Whistler Technical (they helped a lot). Bottom line, I learned a lot and now I do all of my own programing. On occasion, I still get stumped and have to make another phone call with questions.

I would suggest you download the manual for your radio, they may have it here on RR. RESEARCH RR to be sure those programed frequencies are still in use. As someone else pointed out, correctly I might add, maybe not only have the frequencies changed, may the entire system is changed. Your radio isn't dead, the programed system is dead! Without researching you won't know. Learn how to program the radio, it is not that hard. Go to whistler and buy a data cable (I call it a data dongle) get Win500 to program and your good to go. Those two things are needed to program the radio. As a heads up, those two purchases will set you back about sixty bucks. As finances permit, if your hand held can operate on external power usually 6 or 9 volt dc buy one, be sure that it is regulated

I assume your radio turns on and programs itself at start up. Learn to program the radio. Right now you are dependent on someone else while your handheld sits idle. Just say'in - Angi

81greer

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to learn thus is why I turned to this forum. Radio Reference is a great place to learn.
Thanks for your info.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It would be far easier to figure out what is wrong with programming software. With the software, your could read the scanner and attach your programming file so that we could check it for problems. It is far easier and faster to use software rather than trying to program it manually with the scanner menus. There are 3 software programs available for your scanner. ARC500, Win500, and PSREdit500. I prefer and use Butel ARC500 for my programming. With a premium subscription to Radio Reference, you can download the programming from the database. I do all of my programming manually using the software and the information in the database. I have suffered through entering large systems using the scanner menus and the software is definitely the way to go.

ecps92

Weather does not need to be Programmed.

To use the "SAME" for Alerts, but the quick simple check of can the Radio hear is to just hit the WX button.
IF nothing, then work your way backward, from the Antenna, to the Connection to the Coax, to the Coax to the end Connection
to the Termination at the Radio [if it loose]

3rd, if you have it, use the Basic Antenna that came with the radio, I get 70+ mile with them. [YMMV]
Hi 81greer!
I have the Whistler 1040 hand held scanner. They are somewhat similar. What I found with my 1040, when I would turn on the radio my finger would move the squelch knob. Enough on/off cycles and for all practical purposes I muted the radio. Be sure the squelch knob is turned to it's full open position. If you are listening to trunked digital systems squelch isn't needed.

Secondly, what kind of antenna? Are you using that funky (next to useless) antenna that came with the radio? Could it be that you are just plain to far from the transmitting site(s) for that kind of antenna?

The weather (SAME) has to be programed into your radio.

I have three Whistler desktops and the hand held that I told you about. I didn't know beans about programing theses radio's. I have the original manual for the GRE, or I should say book. Whistler made an effort to bring their scanning concepts to the user level and kind of missed the mark in my opinion. I learned through the manual, several telephone calls to Whistler Technical (they helped a lot). Bottom line, I learned a lot and now I do all of my own programing. On occasion, I still get stumped and have to make another phone call with questions.

I would suggest you download the manual for your radio, they may have it here on RR. RESEARCH RR to be sure those programed frequencies are still in use. As someone else pointed out, correctly I might add, maybe not only have the frequencies changed, may the entire system is changed. Your radio isn't dead, the programed system is dead! Without researching you won't know. Learn how to program the radio, it is not that hard. Go to whistler and buy a data cable (I call it a data dongle) get Win500 to program and your good to go. Those two things are needed to program the radio. As a heads up, those two purchases will set you back about sixty bucks. As finances permit, if your hand held can operate on external power usually 6 or 9 volt dc buy one, be sure that it is regulated

I assume your radio turns on and programs itself at start up. Learn to program the radio. Right now you are dependent on someone else while your handheld sits idle. Just say'in - Angi

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Try my FAQ's tips 1, 4(possibility), 5 -- your a simulcast county - FCC Callsign WQRE537 (SC Department of Administration (DTO))
so it applies and and the 651/652 scanners do miserable in those situations up to just as you say no reception and I would dare to believe that is your real problem 6, 7, 11, 12 ,13
I have worked on several peoples 651/652, ws1040, 1065 radios in nearby 4 tower simulcast counties and rarely do work unless they are really close to a tower, mostly report no receptions or garbled audio.
I recall one saying in a 4 tower simulcast system their ws1040(same as the pro651) even with the attenuater on or off, it only occasionally worked in the garage. Sent it back and bought a Uniden 325P2 and the reply was "OMG this thing is amazing"

See - WS1040/WS1065 vs Simulcast 800

The Paper Clip Antenna

To see if it works, take it outside your county, but still get ~2-3 or more bars of signal. Don't be surprised it starts working, assuming it does it's your radio as said again 651/652 and whistler 1040/1065 do miserable in simulcasts. Unidens do better in those situations.
These radios work from my house on the nearby simulcast decently, but only because im ~15 and 20 miles away from the closest towers. Once they take em back to these counties they get all the towers generally and full strength that they cant handle.

Last edited:

zealibib

Premium Subscriber
81greer if you still need help I work in Greer. Have a pro651 programmed with the area. Would be willing to meet up and clone my system to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.