Pro 651 Yellow battery holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

djg320

Premium Subscriber
Feel free to correct me - with regards to plugging it in. I believe you're okay if you have it set to Alkaline in the settings, as this dictates the charging and charge characteristics (as ni-mh and ni-cd have different charge timers and voltage ranges for depletion) and presumably Alkaline would mean no attempt at charging. Haven't used my 651 personally to charge batteries, so I'm not 100%. The yellow holder only exists to possess the third contact necessary to pass current to the batteries, just as a redundant safeguard. It can absolutely be used as the black holder can.

Last edited:

CycleSycho

I was wondering if you can use Alkaline batteries in the yellow battery holder if you don't try to charge them

;) Get a good picture of the black holder and the yellow holder, compare them and COVER the extra one on the yellow holder. That extra tab is the charging tab so if it is covered with something that will not rip, you can use it for the alkalines. This step is not needed if you never intend to use any A/C adapter for the radio (at all). You could (for extra security) cover that third tab that is in the radio (The one that matches the taped battery holder tab). Every time you replace the batteries, make sure you closely inspect the 'covers'. Have fun! ;)

RDGDigital

NON-RECHARGEABLE BLACK BATTERY HOLDER (FOR WS1010 &WS1040)

Whistler sells the black battery holders for $9.95. My suggestion would be to just bite the bullet and by one (or more) of these.

I don't have the PRO-651, but I do have its predecessor, the PRO-106 that uses the same battery holders. I don't ever use alkaline batteries, preferring to just keep several sets of rechargeable batteries ready to go when needed, and charging them outside of the scanner. I have three of the black battery holders loaded with fully charged batteries ready to go at all times.

I've ready too many stories of batteries leaking or radios melting because the radio was trying to charge alkaline batteries. In some of these stories they had them set to use alkaline batteries, they were using the black battery holders and yet the radio still tried to charge them. I just wouldn't want to risk damaging an expensive radio over a $10 battery holder. That's why I have several spares.

djg320

Premium Subscriber
a-JyRtybEBsC1WAZBFgAVi81I8VBzSV2NF9pz5VIVjzuSI651NhqPYI7MZF1fQSv01tkG4SVaJnFSWQ=w1920-h962-rw

I can verify it'd be fine. Yellow battery holder or not. If he's set to Alkaline in the settings he's fine.

Also think the idea RDGDigital has is good, nothing wrong with grabbing another holder if you're looking to quick switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.