Pro-652: PRO-652 Low volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6PIV

I just purchased a used Pro-652 on ebay and everything works fine with the exception that the audio output is very low compared to my GRE PSR-600 which theoretically is the same radio. The audio quality is excellent but the volume is low even with an external speaker. I did notice that in the manual there is a note on page 11 indicating that an amplified external speaker is needed which I found surprising. Is this normal with the 652?

I obviously could use an amplified speaker but it would be nice to avoid this if possible. For reference, I have reset the unit to the factory defaults and I have scanner on its side so that the internal speaker is not blocked. I am listening to both a P25 system and conventional channels. I am also using ARC500PRO software for programming.

Does anyone have any suggestions or access to a schematic?

Thanks,

Art

R

retiredmich

Sounds like the ear jack needs to be readjusted beleve it or not. If it is a used scanner & the seller used the ear jack a LOT then it is very possable the TAB in the ear jack did not release when the ear phone was un pluged. There is a way to fix that BUT you have to take the scanner apart to do it. My Pro 106 did the same thing. If interested in how to fix it PM me.

marksmith

Something is amiss. My pro652 is notably loud and others have also commented that one of the complaints (not a biggy) is that the volume control goes from barely audible to loud in a very short range. Listening to this radio with a light volume is a touchy difficult effort. Listening to it with room-filling volume is easy.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

R

retiredmich

Have you tried tapping the volume control knob to see if it may jerk it lose ? Just a suggestion.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just got a 652 myself, got it on ebay, and it had really low volume, the speaker had really low output, i turn the Volume all the way up, and it didnt make a difference. So i tried the tapping the Volume knob, and the general area, mainly the knob i think, but anyways, it worked, had to do it a couple times, not sure what the deal is with it...Should i return ito r what, i dont know now, working fine at the moment.

cmdrwill

Sometimes the speaker/earphone jack is intermittent. Plug and unplug an external speaker or earphone with the radio off, several times.

N8IAA

Sometimes the speaker/earphone jack is intermittent. Plug and unplug an external speaker or earphone with the radio off, several times.

652 is a base/mobile scanner with separate headphone/external speaker jacks.
To the OP, have you used an external speaker via the jack on the back of the scanner? My 197 is more than loud enough to not use an external speaker. You may have a problem in the radio.
Larry

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Mine is loud too, when working correctly, like it is now, little earlier it was, then all the sudden, it went low again, i walked over to it, tapped on the volume again, and agin, it started working correctly...The people i got it from ebay, dont have any more, but said i could keep it for 60 days, and i wasnt happy, i could return for a refund.

Oogly

Premium Subscriber
I just got a Pro-652 and I am having the same problems with the low volume, tapping the knob fixes it. TxScanner how has your scanner been doing for all these months or did you return yours?

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Mines been doing GREAT, we took it apart one day, and just made sure all the wires where plugged in good to the knob, and seemed like they where, and since then, its never gave me another problem with that. :)

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
and that was right after i posted about it above, been a few months now, and like i said, a non issue now, maybe try taking it apart, and pushing in on the wire/wires, going to the knob, just make there there good and tight, i may have had a loose one since it hasnt done it anymore since we did that.

N6PIV

Problem resolved at least for the moment

I took the covers off the scanner and found that if I pushed on the volume control connector with a screw driver that full audio was restored. See the attached picture which shows a screw driver and the connector circled. I have no idea how long this will last but at least it was an easy fix.

Art

Attachments

• PRO-652 volume control connector.jpg
    PRO-652 volume control connector.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 817

Oogly

Premium Subscriber
Okay thanks for the info guys, I will open it up if I get low volume again.

KB4HJQ

hello all, I saw the responses to the question about the volume issue and guess what tapping the volume control know works.The volume is back,Go figure. Anyone familier with programming 800 digital freqs into the scanner. Do you have to go thru the menu and set all things(like 800 digital or fm) when you program it?? Please let me know and thanks.
D.J.
KB4HJQ

vernongt

Low Volume output on PRO-652

G'day all,
I read all the postings about this subject and tried it myself and it did work.

I have a Pro652 that I bought from Radio Shack many years ago, and then I bought a second one from Ebay.

The Radio Shack one has never missed a heartbeat, but the Ebay model has continually dropped off on the volume. I sent it to a repair place on the East Coast and he sent it back with a "nothing is wrong" note on it.

Now that I've read these postings, I have found that I can bring the volume back up. It does drop off again but I think that I'm gonna pull the covers off it and look more closely at the volume, and the audio output and headphones jacks.

I just bought a Whistler WS-1040 handheld, which is the similar model, BUT THEY WON'T REPAIR RADIO SHACK MODELS. :eek:(

I use Butel ARC-500 Pro to program my Pro-652 and will also use it for my new WS-1040 when it comes.

Any future help in this subject please post it here for us poor ole slobs???
Thanks.
Vernon [vernongt47@gmail.com]

sprite1741

Hard to diagnose without looking at it but I have found since all companys have switched to lead free solder, problems can arise over time. Try touching up the solder to the volume control and the speaker unless it still goes low with an external one. Check the headphone and speaker jacks too. Just reflowing the solder fixes most intermittent problems. Check the board for cold solder joints too. This isn't just a RS problem. The speaker in my Uniden failed and it was just bad solder to speaker terminal.

vernongt

Pro 652 Low volume

I agree 100% with your assessment "sprite1741" and because my warranty is out of date, and because this radio is indeed worth keeping, I will re-solder said joints.
Glad to hear RS's Pro652, isn't unique with this problem.
Thanks for your feedback.
Vernon

vernongt

Pro-652 Low Volume

G'day all,
I wanted you to know that I did remove the covers off my RS Pro 652 and had a good look around the circuitry. I did notice there were lots of solder joints that didn't look very good, so I broke out my soldering iron and began re-soldering all locations [including two on the volume knob], that didn't look right.

There were some joints where the only substance on the joint was flux.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I heated some joints, and added a little solder to others. Then replacing everything [covers et al], I spent most of yesterday listening to both my Pro-652's without any anomalies whatsoever.

So, the re-soldering the joints that looked suspicious did indeed, do the job.

Thanks to "Sprite1741" for his prompt in solving this problem. Sure beats banging on my radios every day!

73's and Happy Monitoring to you all.
Vernon

Status
Not open for further replies.